How will my manager react if I tell him/her that I have a second job?

I got hired at a fast food restaurant but I have only worked 6 hrs this whole week.

My previous employer contacted me again about another job offer for Friday, Saturday and Sundays. I would be working at least 8-9 hrs on those three days alone.

The thing is when I applied to my current job I was hired on the fact that I had an open availability. I guess I was expecting too much from a fast food job to give me a living wage, but 6 hrs a week for a month would only get me around $250 as the pay rate here is $12.00/hr. That's minimum wage here in California.

If I work at my previous job again I would be getting at least $900-$1,000 every month alone.

I like working at my current job, but I can't survive off of 6 hrs a week..

Will my manager understand or can I get fired for having a second job?

I will be free to work Mon-Thu with an open schedule, but in Friday, Saturday and Sunday I will be working from around 11am-7pm

Tell the truth about what you like more for having that job

• Eva

They could fire you, but you wouldn't be losing much would you. I'd approach your manager by telling him your availability has changed and that you are now available Mon - Thurs. I wouldn't say why unless he really presses you for an answer, and then you can tell him you've found a position for Fri - Sun because they weren't giving you enough hours.

• Why would you even bother with this fast food job that isn't giving you enough hours to survive. You would be working more but payed better in your previous job then your fast food job. I would quit that job and go back to your previous one (if your previous boss can confirm that you have the job), if you liked your previous job. 

• ,

Fast food tell you they have a full-time job but to them it translates to someone that is available all the time, it doesn't mean full time hours. They should be more honest and say you might or might not get work but then nobody will apply so they commit fraud and deception by saying it's full time, you're a full time, unpaid, waiting for the phone to ring mug. At least now you know.

You can't be fired for having a second job, but you can be fired for not showing up for your scheduled work hours. Just reconfirm with your current manager what days/hours you're available.

I don't know your manager personally but I can say this its better to be upfront about this now, as opposed to him finding out at the last minute when he puts the new schedule together.

Be up front with him the next time your in work, let him know you applied for a 2nd job and got accepted, let him know the hours you are working there. He'll either a) work around your schedule and pencil you in for days you can work or b) he might decide that he needs people to work those shifts, and he'll end up hiring someone else to take your shift.

• Amy

You absolutely can get fired or not being available when they need someone there. But who cares? You're obviously better of with a fixed 24 hours/week schedule than with a random 6 hours that doesn't give you the chance to work a second job.

Weekends are the busiest times for fast food.

I used to run a pizza hut when it was a dine in and carry out restaurant before delivery. I had a couple of waitresses who worked at Ryans steakhouse for Lunch and for me on nights.

I would not be too worried about losing a 6 hour a week job.

You probably don't do a great job or you would get more hours too.

• mokrie

He probably thinks your too stupid or lazy to want to work another job. Prove him wrong.

Explain to your boss why you want to have 2 jobs, about your wage, survival etc. ( But don't mad if there any argument). Then if you get fired, you have backup job. If you're boss said okay then proceed