Why does my boss make it hard for me to take lunch break?

When I started my job, my boss made it clear to me that I need to go out to lunch when he goes out to lunch. That way, when he’s back and needs something urgent, then I’m around to assist. But whenever he goes out to lunch, he gives me a project to do. And he comes back so fast from lunch. He’s only out for about 20 mins and when he gets back, he asks me if I’m done with what he asked me to do. And if I’m not done, he gets upset. So that means I can’t take lunch??? What’s up with him?

Favorite Answer

He's a bad manager and a bad business owner.  Start by talking to him about this and also start looking for a new job.  Anyone who can't function for an hour without a  assistant isn't someone you want to work for. 

• Eva

You need to point out to him that legally he is required to give you at least a 30 minute lunch break. When he gives you a project as he is leaving, simply tell him you'll do it as soon as you get back from lunch.

• If you have to bring lunch with you to work and eat when you can get a break. Ask him if you can have some time to have some thing to eat (even while he's there), since he's giving you projects to do while he's out having lunch.

• sdfdsfsdfdfsdfsdfsdf

Obviously, you are not entitled to lunch when you are receiving breaks.  Breaks are only mandatory in California (10 minutes at a time), so it sounds like he figures with the breaks he gives you, that's your lunch hour.  Eat during one of your 2 or 3 breaks.  I know it sounds confusing and he should have explained to you at the beginning how he prefers it to work.  Instead, he has assumed a lot - too much for an employee who rightfully expects things to occur normally.  Some employers are not so normal, in their work habits or their personal lives.  Either put up with it or find another job.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
    • Didn't say where he's located. Or if his boss is allowing him to take breaks besides lunch breaks. Thumbs were not from me.

When he hands you a report to do, do you ask "when do you need this" and when he says in 20 minutes (aka when he gets back from lunch he expects it to be ready) you can counter with "this is a 1 hour job" or whatever you estimate it will take.  If his projects are always rush jobs, it's a planning issue with him.

• hamel5

Sit down with him and tell him that you need a half hour for lunch.  Tell him that you love working there, think he's great etc -  but, you need your lunch. 

Also - if you're being paid by the hour - they're already taking 30 minutes a day off your paid  time .  

Take lunch when he does & stop posting stupid questions.

just go on time