How do I call off of work tomorrow? ?

My boyfriend keeps asking if I can call off of work tomorrow for his birthday and my boss knows it is his birthday. I don't know how to call off of work without just saying "Hey I'm ditching work to go celebrate (name)s birthday". How would I word it so I'm telling the truth without being too blunt or rude? 

I guess you could feign an illness but as you've apparently spread your personal information at work now whatever you do is going to look suspicious.

• Edna

Don't worry about "telling the truth". Just do what most people do:  Call in tomorrow and tell your boss that you're sick.  Why is your boss privy to the fact that tomorrow is your boyfriend's birthday, and why is your boss involved in your private life?

• Linda

I don't know any bosses who would let somebody out of work due to a boyfriend or girlfriend or spouse having a bday. I wouldn't take off the day at work to be with your bf and instead celebrate later in the evening, the way most people do. There is no way you can just ditch work without lying. If you call off work you could be fired, because that is not a valid reason to not go to work. If you call in sick, you might later really be sick and then you may not have any sick days left. You can still celebrate your bf's bday by doing something fun with him but just not the whole day.  Get him a nice gift and then take him out to eat to his favorite restaurant and then see a movie. Tell him next year you'll ask for his bday off in advance. That should make him happy and you won't risk your job at this time.

How about asking your boss for tomorrow off to be able to celebrate your boyfriend's birthday by spending the day with him? If I were your boss, it would be fine. I am sure he will understand. Call or email your boss today. Sooner is better. Don't over think this. I wish you well.

• Helen

Very unfair of your boyfriend. He should have asked you to book the day off in advance if he wanted to spend it with you.

Your boss didn't get to be a boss by being an idiot. If you call in sick and she knows it's your boyfriend's birthday that day, she will put two and two together...

Go to work and celebrate later.

• Jim

Just go to work and celebrate before or after.

Don't take the day off. Having a birthday is an annual event. Nothing special.

You don't, you go to work as usual and your boyfriend should understand that and I am sure you will be free after work - If I was the boss and got an email saying the person was taking the day off I would consider getting rid of them as there is plenty of unemployed people out there that could do your job.

I think it would be best to be honest with your boss. If you try to tell some sort of lie it will be very evident to your boss. That will damage any credibility you may have with them and show that you cannot be trusted. I don't think that a birthday is worth all that. The worst that can happen is that your boss says no. There is a 50% chance. Telling a lie is a 100% guarantee that you will be insulting your bosses' intelligence and damaging your reputation with them.