Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 9 months ago

Is it possible to learn a new language just by sleeping with my headphones?

and let the audio of the language play on so that my brain will subconsciously process it? And if so, how long will it take before I see results?

No, but playing recordings of the new language you want to learn, while you sleep will help your mind get into the mode of thinking in the new language. However, the more time you spend studying and, even more so, using the language, the faster your progress will be. We acquire language skills the way a chicken eats​, grain by grain. “The little specks are not much in themselves, but they keep adding up.” A man named Bill, who learned several languages as a missionary, says, “I took word lists with me everywhere I went and looked at them whenever I had a few minutes.” Many have found that regularly devoting short periods of time to study is more effective than infrequently setting aside large chunks of time.

Please keep in mind, though, that there are no shortcuts around personal effort and perseverance, but  there are ways to make learning easier and more fun. One is to increase your exposure to the language and culture.

Source(s): jw.org

No not even hypnosis or subliminally work

When your asleep, But just going to sleep

And just woken up from sleep perhaps if still

Awake.

Thanks 

Very Best Wishes 

Mars 

Source:) Personal views cited 

I don't think so, the good news is an app will come soon to translate languages for around $100. 

• Zirp

no, your brain has more important things to do when you sleep, and learning a language requires doing it consciously.

Don believe the crap about there being a "cut-off age" for learning languages. I myself started to learn English at the ripe old age of 12, and Esperanto at 19.  A guy I know started learning Arabic at 19 and now works for an embassy in Morocco.

What IS true is that it's a lot harder if you haven't been exposed to foreign languages in your infancy. If the language you do hear don't distinguish R from L. P from B, M from N, or H from spanish J, you can lose the ability to hear the difference

Source(s): Dutch, speaking German, English, French and Esperanto
  • C

No, but if you're learning a new language it does help to be exposed to listening to the rhythm of the language as much as possible.  I learn to read other languages quite easily but understanding the spoken language is harder for me.  I used to play "ear worm" CDs (they're a brand, I don't know if they're still around) before travelling somewhere.  Just listening to common phrases being repeated over generic club music made it so easier to hear the individual words when interacting with people.  I'm not sure why it worked so well but it made a huge difference to me.

No it won't help at all.

You can have someone talking.

It does the same,Nothing.

What's interesting about language is we are born with the cells to understand and pronounce all of them. But human biology is efficient. When it becomes clear we aren't going to be talking about the buddha avalokiteshvara or Ikea furniture names, those cells die off to save energy and space. We are left with "Honey Boo Boo" and "cheerleader."

If you want to learn a new language well or be a UN translator, you need to have learned it before the age of 5. I suppose you could talk about exposure by just hearing it but I doubt there's any valid science showing you can learn it fully by just listening in your sleep or otherwise. But that said, I always tell people they already speak all Romance languages. There's syntax, grammar, and conjugations to learn consciously and logically but it can be summed up in "professor de Espanol." Translated "professor of Spanish." It's really not that hard once you get your bearings.

Reading Sanskrit or Mandarin tones is a different story but between English, German, French, Spanish, etc half the time it's not a joke to say the difference is a funny accent and an "O" sound at the end.

Is that old scam still around? No. You have to study it.

• Alex

I've never known anyone for whom that's worked for.

The best ways are methods that have you immerse yourselves in the language. Rosetta Stone and other similar methods have you learn the language and then use the language.

Only if you put the headphones in your mouth!

Source(s): That’s the secret nobody tells you.