Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 2 months ago

Philosophers- do you believe the whole idea of 'sin' to be a made up religious dogma? Or the ground of human reality? Both? Or neither....?

What do you say

8 Answers

Relevance
  • j153e
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Sin is energy-veiling, erring from what is true, etc.

Often, religious have advised purity.

So, some of both:  a law of sending and receiving, and sometimes an overly-threatening concept.

Related: 

The Path of the Higher Self;

Man, Master of His Destiny;

Autobiography of a Yogi;

Beams from Meher Baba;

The Great Divorce;

Mere Christianity.

• 1 month ago

For the longest time, and predominantly still, morality and human feelings and happiness have been thought to derive from religion. So it muddies the waters when we discover that those things are emotional and behavior phenomena, and can be understood and developed with or without religion.

• 2 months ago

I think sin is an overt that's in religion to mean that you will be punished in hell, or it's a overt against the greed of the religion.

Then there are transgressions against the social order of behavior you agreed to when you were a child when you became aware of having effects on others, ie., becoming responsible, around at age of seven.

We have innate ethics, because we have a soul and evolved through ages that evolved our conscience and heart. Ethics isn't a religious or social invention, but it comes from the hearts of humans, who were able to recognize ethics and not to hurt of kill others based on survival. We survive more easily when we live together, and so hurting others is jeopardizing our own survival, just as harming our family, the environment, animals, other spirits, etc.

• 2 months ago

Both. All ideas are created within the mind, so yeah, it's "made up", but I wouldn't say it's made up by religious dogma. The idea of sin (and religious dogma) was (and is) made up by religious thinkers. I think sinning, committing crimes, doing evil, and behaving badly, are all just slightly varying versions of the same thing. They are unfavorable evaluations of human actions. I guess wolves, and other intelligent social animals, evaluate other members of their groups in a similar, albeit less complex, manner. I see the concept of sin as a more developed, codified, and religious, system of evaluating human behaviour: a system that has its roots in very primitive mental processes that function to differentiate between good and bad, or if you prefer, favorable and unfavorable.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Morality is a very different thing to 'sin'

Morality are the rules, both written and unwritten, that make a society function.

'sin' is undoubtfully a made up religious dogma, it usually contains that which has nothing to do with morality.

• 2 months ago

I draw your attention to the anonymous person who has cited the dictionary definition. There is a common misconception about Buddhism, that it doesn't recognize the existence of evil.  Buddhists don't use the word "sin" because of its Biblical baggage. It's used for murder and women wearing clothing of a particular color. Buddhists talk about malice. If somebody killed your dog, you would too.

Source:

"Free from hatred and malice."

- Kalama Sutra

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Obviously you haven't bothered to look at a dictionary or think this through logically. The word 'sin' is typically defined as "an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law." Divine law presupposes a diving being, therefore sin necessarily has to be a religious, or at least spiritual dogma. The only question is whether one believes in divine beings or some other spiritual essence. If not then you had better find a different basis for your moral principles. 

• Paul
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

The fundamental question is whether we accept the realities of objective good and objective evil.  " If we do, and we are rational people, then guilt is the appropriate response to having committed evil, which we call "sin".

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.