Why do americans in their early twenties often work?

It's not a joke and I hope I didn't offend anyone, it's that I find weird. I personally was never pressured by my parents to get a job (not much at least) and see myself studying all the time, so there's no time to work anyway. These young adults also study, which makes the situation even more puzzling. 

For expierience, fun or just momey

They,ll work and they,ll earn,so nothing bad is about it.Works when are done carefully ab originally a child doesn,t spoil badly in a house.

To start, college is expensive. I came from a low income household and my mom couldn’t pay for my college, it was all me. Even after scholarships, grants, loans and workstudy, I still had to pay for books ($1000 give or take a semester) and pay off my student account which always varied. Also, I was taught to work hard and two months after I turned 18 I got a job, mainly because it was expected but also because I don’t want to be a burden to my single mother. I recently graduated, got a job, and am currently paying my loans. Have to have money to get a head start on life or I’m afraid of being an unhappy failure in my 40’s. That’s just my story, though, I’m unusual.

• Jane

As others have said, many young adults have to work while studying if their family is not wealthy enough to pay for all of their living costs. You are priviledged in not having to earn any income while you study. 

However, you may be disadvantaged by this wealth- when you complete your studies, you will enter the world of work. At this point, with no work experience you will have no career /employment record on your resume and therefore have no proven skills and experience that have been applied in a practical business environment. 

If your family are in a position to support you financially in the long term, then you will never have to work. If your family have great connections where they will assure you a job, then you will never have to attend an interview.

If neither of the above apply, I suggest you get paid work or an internship asap, so that you can catch up with those of your fellow students who have gained work experience.

• Maxi

Not just Americans it happens world wide......... someone who just studies just has theory, they have no practical skills, they have no way of putting what they learn into practice, which also teaches them.

Two people go for an interview with the same company, both studied the same degree, one of them also worked part time whle studying...... more than likely the one who studied/worked will get the job as the employer knows they have better time managment skills, better communication skills and understand  work place etiquette

If you were to study all the time then you will never evolve. When someone works then he, or she can be challenged. A challenge can create a bigger desire to learn more, but without having another human being to challenge you then you won't be able to progress any further.

I learned without someone challenging me then I won't be able to progress any further in my life. I can certainly challenge myself, but it's not the same as someone else challenging me.

If you only study then you won't get any practical experience, and I think this is equally as important as studying.

• Judy

Most parents have too much sense to ruin their kids' future by letting them remain a child long after they should have grown up, even if the parents can afford it.

Not everyone wants or is able to go to school right away, or at all. There's also a lot of families out there (many with multiple kids) who aren't able to pay for both their child's college and living expenses.

To earn money to buy things.

• Adam

Because most people aren't supported by their mom and dad, or sponsored with someone else's money.

If you live on your own without financial support, you need a job or source of income. Period.

I don't understand what is so puzzling about that.

• Adam

Ah, well that explains the disconnect. Here in the U.S. you can get scholarships if you do remarkably well in school, but even those rarely cover living expenses, just school itself. Unless you're in that small crowd, you'll need a job when you move out of your parents' house or you're homeless!