Anonymous

am i wrong?

i work part time at a job from 1 to 5. My boss told me i’m not allowed to take a (15 minute) break to eat my lunch and should’ve eaten before I got to work because it's such a short work period. is this right? This is my first job and i just assumed no matter whether you were part time or full time, i at least got a break to eat my lunch. I could be wrong though.

I work at the airport and I'm not allowed to leave until the last plane for my airline takes off. So I never get off work at the same time due to delays and etc, so sometimes it's four hours, but sometimes I have to stay for seven or eight hours, so that's why I bring lunch because I never know how long I'm going to be there, does that rule still apply?

• n2mama

In my state, you would be entitled to a 20 min unpaid meal break if you were scheduled a 7 hour or longer shift. Nothing for 4 hours. You are likely wrong.

With 4 hour shifts you're not likely to get breaks.

• Eva

Your boss is correct. You are only working 4 hours. A lunch break isn't required until you work 6 hours or more. Since you aren't coming in until 1 you should be eating your lunch before you get to work.

• If you're not allowed to take a break, then you should eat before or after your shift. 

Usually you do get a 15 minute break if you work over 4 hrs. You should get a half hour unpaid break if you're working more then 7 hrs. At least that's how it works in my workplace. You would have to check out labor laws for your area and ask your boss about their break policies. 

• Judy

Yes you are likely wrong. It depends on where you live. Laws vary by state, see https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/state-laws... for the law in your state. In many states, no breaks are legally required. In those with requirements, they often apply only if you work LONGER than 4 hours. That said, many employers give breaks during a 4 hour shift whether or not they're required to.

I'm not sure which country you are in, so it really makes it difficult to guage a proper response here! I know how the rules work here in Canada:

3-4 hours: You get a 15 minute paid break

5 hours: 30 minute paid break

8 hours: 2 15 minute paid breaks, one 30 minute unpaid break

10 hours: an additional 15 minutes, 2 15 minute paid breaks, unpaid 30 minute break

At my company if we work less than 5 hours, we legally cannot buy a meal on the job, we are allowed to purchase bottled drinks, as well as snacks from the commissary stand. If we work more than 5 hours, we are entitled to buy actual meals from the restaurant at a 50% discounted rate.

Legally I would think you are allowed to a 15 minute break (again I'd need to know the country you are in here), so really, what YOU do with your 15 minute break is your business, not your bosses'. It sounds to me like he or she is being difficult about it, I mean, it really should NOT take longer than 15 minutes to eat a meal. Your best bet here is to read and understand the laws in your country and at your company, this way you can know for sure one way or the other about having lunch while on your break.

You say you work at 1pm right? There's no reason why you can't eat BEFORE you come to work, I don't know why you can't eat lunch at say 11-11:30am, this way you have food in you, and can last the day until your home for dinner.

You ARE wrong. He is right. On a four hour shift, you are expected to work the FULL four hours. If you want a lunch or a dinner hour, you have to work an EIGHT hour day. Breaks are only mandatory in California - 10 minutes. You are not entitled to a break in any other state, unless an employer feels rather generous and feels that you need one, and that would be on an 8 hour day, and he can give you 10 or 15 minutes - whatever he feels like. Most jobs DO NOT give breaks to employees.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.

Labor laws are different for every state but normally you do not get a break for a four hour work period. 

I know some states require breaks at least every four hours so, if your state has that rule, they would have to give you a break on those days when you work late. 

• John

A 4 hr work shift would probably not have a lunch break included.

theyre right,you dont get a break if youre only there 4 hrs