Jessica asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Do cats grieve?

We recently lost one of our girls, Frankie; our other cat, Raja, has since been acting ... not oddly, but differently. Meowing loudly and more than usual when she hardly ever did before, being much more affectionate and clingy, and seems to be yowling for attention when there's nothing more that she needs (bowl full, just put her down after snuggles, etc). Is there anything we can do to ease her mind? I'm worried about her, especially after losing her big sister. It's almost as if she's sensed our feelings, but I'm not sure if cats' emotions are that complex. Does anyone have any idea what to do?

• PR
    Favorite Answer

Cats, dogs and even birds can grieve for a close buddy. They form bonds and close attachments to an animal friend or to a human. There are plenty of stories documenting such reactions and emotions in animals and they may sulk, mope, or even sit by a grave of a beloved human. Some may refuse to eat. 

Of course, your cat could be sensing your own emotions, but the fact that she has also been meowing loudly, sounds bit like our Aunt Kitty, after being rescued by us: Aunt Kitty used to live outside as a feral cat with her other cat friends and relatives. She was brought inside after spaying and became part of the family. 

When Aunt Kitty began meowing a bit loudly, at night, I thought she might be missing her friends. This continued for quite some time and even after she had acclimated to our home and even become friends with our cats. We surmised she was still calling for her other kitty friends, worried about them since feral cats take care of one another. She would only do this at night, when it was quiet in the house and everyone had gone to bed.

The clinginess of your kitty would also suggest she is sad or worried. Give your cat more attention, love and cuddles. Be patient with her until she feels more like herself. 

If you still have the body of her sister, allow her to view and sniff her friend so she has the opportunity to understand, better, what has happened. If the sister cat is buried in your yard, let her sniff that area, or even a towel the sister cat may have been wrapped in, or box.

https://www.hillspet.com/cat-care/behavior-appeara...

In this article, portions of the fourth paragraph describe your kitty:

https://www.manhattancats.com/article-archive/beha...

This article details various grieving of other animals:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_grief

If her eating habits change, watch and take her to the vet if it becomes a concern. Cats cannot miss meals for too long before they become sick.

They do grieve.  It is true.  100%

They can grieve too

So sorry for your loss...

Actual feelings are debatable. But, cats do become accustomed to others. Have you ever noticed your cats react differently towards you, ie, recognize you, when you have guests over? The same happens with their fellow pets, too.I've fostered and owned many in my lifetime. I recommend that you watch for a few things in addition to the vocalizations. Does your baby eat the same amount? Is your baby using the litterbox still, or is there a sudden change in location? Is it hiding more when it typically would not? Is it not playing the same?Any sudden and drastic changes to routine could mean depression. Depression can lead to illness. If you notice changes, it might be a good time to check in with the vet to make sure your pet is ok, and see what your doc suggests help bring back normalcy. (Some vets will chat briefly with you on the phone on this topic at no cost....)Best of luck!

• Jessica1 month agoReport

and i know that, of course, cats meow all the time, but in the past, she seldom did meow for anything and when she did it was a gentle little rumble. as of late, she's been pretty vocal.

Cats only grieve over an empty food bowl.

• patty

she is upset a mate has gone

Of course she misses her. Did the other cat get run over by a car since you stupidly let her out? Are you still letting this one out?

• CMH1 month agoReport

"Stupidly".... harshly and incorrectly judge others much? The owner is obviously asking because he/she is concerned. A concerned pet parent is a good pet parent - and if you look at our nation's pet shelters, we have a shortage of good owners..... so let's try to be nice to those who care?

I don't know if they grieve or not, but I notice that the family tuxedo cat did seem to be more subdued after the Siamese cat that was his buddy and playmate disappeared one day and never came back.

• Damien

maybe the cat is sick, take to vet, all cats care about is food and sleep.

• mokrie
      1 month agoReport

So wrong. Cats and dogs can grieve and even die from a broken heart. Don't own pets.

I think they do. When I went out of town my cat would always stick by my room mate.