Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 8 months ago

Is this animal abuse?

My friend is obsessed with his pet cat’s weight. He has been cutting the cat’s food for months. Now he only give it a scoop of food once a day. The cat is 10 pounds. He keeps jiggling it’s stomach and saying it’s fat.

The cat is female.

• Ocimom

At 10 lbs a female is about at the proper size.  ALL cats have a tummy pouch that you can jiggle and its NOT due to the cat being fat!.  Cats should be fed a quality CANNED food twice a day - not a bowl full of dry.  

10 pounds is about right. Once a day is not. A kitty should be fed twice a day, dividing one large can (with gravy) or two small cans (with sauce). Dry food is not good for them. It will stick to their gums & teeth causing decay. Unless there's extenuating circumstances, kitties should spend time outside. They know where they live.

• Layne

I am not sure if it abusive and at 10lbs it is not really fat.

I have a cat and I have to watch his weight because he got a urinary tract infection long time ago so I check his weight to make sure he's okay so he doesn't have to go through that again he's 16 years old and enjoy being around me my point is do you know why your friend is feeding the cat at certain times also how does the cat act around him ? If the cat hisses or doesn't like being around him then that's a problem cats aren't stupid if they don't like someone they make it obvious.

He's fat shaming her. 

• Ken S

Your friend is just ignorant about feline nutrition. First off dry food is the number 1 cause of diabetes,blockages,kidney disease and yes obesity in cats

If he would feed canned foods with no gravy and no sauce, the cat can eat as much as it wants when it wants and will go to the correct weight

Learn here

www.catinfo.org

My neighbor was a hard core liberal and for laughs he would capture cats and starve them.  Your friend sounds like a similar idiot.  Eventually, a group of us went to the neighbor's house and pounded the crap out of him.  He moved away later that year and eventually committed suicide.

A regular domestic female cat that weighs ten pounds is very unlikely to be underweight, and is therefore getting enough food. 

At ten pounds, this female cat may actually be overweight or even obese.

I see nothing here that indicates animal abuse, although splitting the food into an AM and a PM meal would be better. 

• *****

I suppose that depends on how much a "scoop" of food is (scoops come in all sorts of sizes), and whether the cat is having its basic nutritional needs met by that amount. There are certainly a LOT of obese cats that could stand to lose weight, and dietary restriction, within reason, is appropriate for a cat that is overweight.  Hopefully he is working with his vet to ensure his weight loss plan is appropriate. Loss should be gradual. There are cats that are at a healthy weight at 6 pounds, and those that are healthy at twenty. There's no way to know from the cat's weight whether it is at a healthy weight, overweight, or underweight.

Yes. Thats not the way to create a proper diet. You dont just cut off food supply. Your friend is an idiot.