Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

How would you make your 16 year old daughter get over her extreme shyness and stop her from being quiet around everyone?

• Prissy

Well,quietness is a great quality! It is wonderful that she la such.

Shyness is,as long as is not patological, just as great. 

Such people are introspective,intelligent, deep thinking,usually very creative.....That is awesome! You have to be proud about her and her qualities, and let her be the way she is.

Why not let her be who she is? She;'s nearly grown, and she is an introvert. Which is absolutely okay.  It's not your job to try to make her into who you'd prefer her to be. It's your job to assure her it's okay to be who she actually is.

She’ll grow out of it that’s just what kids do

• PAMELA

I would do no such thing, that is how she is, if she is happy being like that you have no right to try to change her.

• GB

I grew out of it, so I would not try to'make' her get over it.

Try putting her in some type of youth group or some extracurricular activities if you can afford them. However I wouldn't worry too much unless she has low self esteem or in cases where she used to be a talkative child and her personality had changed all of a sudden. Other then that I wouldn't be too concerned unless you think that there's something going on.

Build her confidence.  Next question?

• Lita

I would let her be herself instead of trying to force her to be someone she isn't.

• Prissy
      1 month agoReport

I completely agree with you 

You can't MAKE her get over shyness and to stop being quiet. That is who she is. You can encourage her and praise her for when she is social and friendly. Instead of cutting her down for being quiet and shy start to compliment her.

A friend of mine who is a loud, preppy type who was a cheerleader, most popular girl in school and so on has a very shy and quiet daughter. She has admitted to be disappointed and given up on her daughter changing. She focuses on her daughter's positive qualities and her daughter who is 17 is finally starting to come out of her shell. But, the change didn't happen till my friend accepted her daughter as she is.

give up, extrovert