Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 10 months ago

Why do people mention where they're from when in the middle of beef?

I assume you nobody gives two cents. They really don't!

I know several people who are always beefing with someone (even if it's the clerk at the gas station) and they always make it a point to mention where they're from.

It's like anyone who is not from where they're from is automatically an enemy, or someone to be disrespect... I think as a species we've evolved past the point where we need to be so heavily tribal.

I guess they do it as a status symbol... But like nobody asks 

Literally nobody:

Person: I'm from such and such!

Okay... And ?

Territory seems to play a big part in the realm of violence. Every gangbanger looking for a rival starts the convo with "where you from?". The idea being that where you live dictates which gang you're affiliated with.

I don't know what you are cooking.

• Mark

Sometimes it works in the their favour because the other party has bizarre stereotypes.  It might make would-be-bullies think twice if someone said "I'm from South Boston (and the person think that "all people from South Boston are violent").

• Lili

Sorry, but I've never heard anyone do this. You must know some quite odd people.