JJ
Lv 5
JJ asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 2 months ago

Why did Britain's Queen Victoria refer to herself as "queen of England" ?

Princess Victoria---eldest daughter of Britain's Queen Victoria and Prince Albert---married Crown Prince Frederick of Prussia.  The wedding ceremony took place in the Chapel Royal of Saint James' Palace, London.  

Queen Victoria was insistent that the marriage take place in Britain, stating " . . . it is not every day that a Prussian prince marries the eldest daughter of the queen of England." 

Did Queen Victoria make a mistake in referring to herself as "queen of England," or was "Britain" and "England" used interchangeably during the mid-18th century?  

Update:

Correction:  or was "Britain" and "England" used interchangeably during the mid-19th century?  

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Rico
    Lv 5
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Informally, 'England', 'Great Britain (& {Northern since 1927} Ireland)' and The United Kingdom, were all interchangeable right up until the mid 20th century.

In languages such as Chinese, Korean and Japanese the words and characters which literally translate to England or English also literally translate directly as 'british' or 'britain' and are still used to refer to The UK & NI as a whole, even though they use different words to translate as the other constituent Home countries names.  

Of course, Victoria could have just been making the reference to herself as queen of one of the Home Counties rather than Of Great Britain because her son in law was more frequently referred to by the title he got from one of the constituent monarchies within Germany rather than his imperial title. 

• TSK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Maybe WRONGLY at times....

• Because she was honest. The current Queen is also the Queen of England - everywhere else in her realms is just conquered territory. The union of the Scottish and English crowns was not a union of equals - as you will see when the new English Government denies Scots a referendum on independence.

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

They married in the 19th century and it was up to her what she called herself.

• JJ
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

My mistake.  They married in the 19th century. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Because that is how the nearly 7.5 billion people around the world know her as. The BBC, and other news agencies, Kings, queens, presidents, prime ministers around the world including U.S.A, all refer to her as the Queen of England. Show people a picture of Elizabeth Windsor and they will say, that is the Queen of England. I used to try to correct people and say, actually it's the Queen of the United Kingdom but, not any more. It takes too long to explain and frankly, I just don't have the time nor the inclination to educate the 7billion + people who get it wrong. Let others waste their time on it, I can't be bothered anymore.

• Clo
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

For many people England is seen as shorthand for Great Britain.

The title names of realms have gone through multiple changes through history; today's monarch doesn't have the same titles of Queen Victoria.

In these times, I've noticed that Scottish and Welsh citizens prefer the terms for the United Kingdom of Great Britain; they say that they are ignored, left out, when their monarch is named only for England. I have been using British, UK, or the full title to honor all the citizens.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Even the venerable BBC has referred to Elizabeth II as the Queen of England. She is also called that in a scene in the Netflix programme “The Crown”. It happens frequently, in the UK and elsewhere, that people refer to the British monarch as the monarch of England. It’s not surprising that Queen Victoria would have used the same phrasing. It’s not meant to be derogatory toward the other home countries that make up the UK. It’s simply commonplace phrasing that is ingrained in the English language’s lexicon.  

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I have seen that reported in a newspaper. No guarantee that Queen Victoria would have actually made this mistake. Monarchs tend to know what kingdoms they reign over. 

• 2 months ago

The latter. It isn’t exactly a secret. Lots of foreigners still call British people English.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

For the same reason that the rolling stones referred to themselves as the best rock band of all time, hype.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.