Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 1 month ago

Is it a coincidence that my mom and me developed a lactose intolerance at the same time?

Okay so we have been drinking milk all our lives but around 6 months ago we both started getting bad bowel movements and really bad bloating we went to the doctor and found out we had lactose intolerance and it was very severe that even yogurt could cause diarrhea (my doctor told me yogurt didn't normally affect people with lactose intolerance)

is it a coincidence or is there an underlying cause which can solve our lactose intolerance?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

It sounds very suspicious. First, try milk from a different supplier (preferably filtered)

Also see if you can find some A2 milk, that's a lot easier to digest than the mass market milk from modern high-yeildling cattle.

• 1 month ago

The sugars lactose, sucrose, and maltose are broken down by the enzymes lactase, sucrase, and  maltase, which are located  in the lining of the small intestine. Normally, the enzymes breaks these sugars into simple sugars, such as glucose, which then are absorbed into the blood through the intestinal wall. If the necessary enzyme is lacking , the sugars aren't digested, and they can't be absorbed. They remain in the small intestine. The  high concentration of sugar draws fluids into the small intestine causing diarrhea. The unabsorbed sugar is then fermented by bacteria in the large intestine, producing acidic stool and flatulence. Enzyme deficiency occurs in celiac disease tropical sprue and infections of the intestine. Enzyme deficiency also can be congenital, or it can be caused by antibiotics especially neomycin.

Lactose intolerance can be controlled by avoiding foods containing lactose-- primarily dairy products. To prevent a calcium deficiency, people who must avoid dairy products may wish to take calcium supplements. Alternatively, lactase can be added to milk; the lactase then breaks down the lactose in the milk before the person drinks it.

Source(s): nurse
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

if youre both getting it at the same time i would wonder if someone aint putting it in your milk

• daisyellow78
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

It? what is it?
      If you mean lactose, it is naturally in dairy unless you buy lactose free products

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.