Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 9 months ago

Do students COPY at school in the USA?

Hi, I would like to know if in the United States it is usual for students to copy during tests or in any case if it happens. Because in my country it often happens, especially in high school, and it's something I hate. But I've heard that in the US, students never copy from others. It's true?

Thanks!

I mean, it often happens that students copy at school. They write small notes to hide, or they cheat... obviously it is something they shouldn’t do, but teachers seam to do nothing and most of the time they don't even notice it. This is something terribile and so unfair. So, I wanted to know if it happens in the US, too.

Thank you for the answers! : )

Sometimes, but it rarely goes without consequences.

• Lili

It happens, but it's considered very wrong, and students are subjected to serious penalties if they are caught.  Everyone is very sternly warned against it.

• drip

Sure it happens but many students get caught.

And most teachers realize what the student is capable of, so when their work is much better that raises a red flag.  

At the university level if caught you can F on the test or for the entire class. My son in law has proctored tests at the university level and has caught many students cheating.  

Yes, it happens here. And it's called plagiarism. Schools and kids aren't the only places affected by it, either. It also happens at the college level and in the workplace- and when it happens in these places, it's considered to be a CRIME. Every year in the US, there are colleges and universities across the nation which expel students for plagiarism. In the case of private companies or government agencies, they call this same thing theft of intellectual property, and it's a crime punishable by long prison terms and fines amounting to a quarter or a half million dollars per conviction.

I'm not surprised that you aren't tolerant of such behavior. MOST students are honest and want to perform honorably, and to get credit for their work. But there are always people who will cheat or try to game the system, because they think they can get something for nothing. That's why the US has strict copyright and intellectual property laws, and why we have the FBI to enforce them.

I'm in the United States. Even the top students here cheat (at least from what I've noticed). I feel like it's because of the immense pressure put on school children and our consumerist society telling kids that if they don't get good grades they won't get a good job, without a good job they won't make a lot of money, and therefore they will have failed in life. So kids do anything to get good grades here. I was always the top student in my classes. Yes, I would cheat any time I could get a chance. The kids who were failing were still cheating too though. I was best friends with the second top student, she would cheat on every single assignment. It seemed that male and female students would cheat an equal amount. Good and bad students... Everyone was just under so much stress. It was so common at every school I went to. Elementary through college, I saw it at every school I went to in multiple different parts of the United States. 

• Laurie

Some try it, but if they are caught, they receive a failing grade.

Why is it common in your country? How does copying another person’s answers enable your teacher to evaluate YOUR knowledge?

well i have and I'm from the United States so yeah