Anti-Siphon Valve with Solenoid Question?

I replaced an old, above-ground anti-siphon valve with a new one that has a solenoid. The old one did not have a solenoid. I tested the sprinkler system and noticed that none of sprinkler zones worked. I heard buzzing on a in-ground solenoid/valve from one of the four zones, but that was it. Some of the wire connections between the power cord and the valves are a bit rusted. 

Question: Is this a wiring issue? Or is the non-used solenoid, that is part of the anti-siphon valve, somehow preventing any flow, even if the solenoid is not connected

to anything?  

you test this by wiring up the 'unused' solenoid via the pump relay connections so that it activates every time the pump is turned on. [even if you've no pump, the pump relay connections on your timer should be active and produce voltage enough to activate the solenoid -- 24 volts in the systems i've seen].

your temporary connection can be made using an extension cord and a pair of ends with screw terminals. i'd test the pump relay connections for voltage before i did this [i suppose there might be some systems where the pump connections are line voltage ... instead of the relay activation voltage]

• Andy

I'm pretty sure that the valve is closed unless the solenoid is energized. It sounds like you need to replace it with a manual (non-solenoid) anti-siphon valve.