Anti-Siphon Valve with Solenoid Question?

I replaced an old, above-ground anti-siphon valve with a new one that has a solenoid. The old one did not have a solenoid. I tested the sprinkler system and noticed that none of sprinkler zones worked. I heard buzzing on a in-ground solenoid/valve from one of the four zones, but that was it. Some of the wire connections between the power cord and the valves are a bit rusted. 

Question: Is this a wiring issue? Or is the non-used solenoid, that is part of the anti-siphon valve, somehow preventing any flow, even if the solenoid is not connected

to anything?  

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago

you test this by wiring up the 'unused' solenoid via the pump relay connections so that it activates every time the pump is turned on. [even if you've no pump, the pump relay connections on your timer should be active and produce voltage enough to activate the solenoid -- 24 volts in the systems i've seen].

your temporary connection can be made using an extension cord and a pair of ends with screw terminals. i'd test the pump relay connections for voltage before i did this [i suppose there might be some systems where the pump connections are line voltage ... instead of the relay activation voltage]

• Andy
    Lv 6
    10 months ago

I'm pretty sure that the valve is closed unless the solenoid is energized. It sounds like you need to replace it with a manual (non-solenoid) anti-siphon valve.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.