Any bald men out there a fan of  “2 Kings 2:23–24” in the Bible where God makes 2 female bears kill 42 children for making fun of a guys ?

bald head? 

“And [Elisha] went up from there to Bethel. While he was on his way, young juveniles came out from the city and mocked him, saying, ‘Go up, bald-head! Go up, bald-head!’ When he turned back and saw them, he cursed them in the name of YHWH. Then two female bears came out from the forest and mauled forty two of those juveniles.”

Damn that’s awesome....Lesson here, don’t f@ck with the Bald. I’m getting “2 Kings 2:23–24” tattooed on the back of my head, and I’m not even a Christian. 

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago

It actually goes to being on the wrong side can result in disaster. Which side lost on that one?

• User
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Just wondering...

where in that story do you see "God makes..."???

• 10 months ago

They weren't children, any more than the children of the Anakim were children when they fought Israel. They were "muchachos," to quote the Reina-Valera Bible, i.e., lads or youth or young men looking for trouble. They found it.

• Those young boys were making fun and insulting a prophet of God so then they were also making fun of and insulting God. Young boys does not mean like 5 or 6 year olds. They would have been at the age of knowing right from wrong and should have known better. Boys were not considered men until the age they could join the military, 21. Even today, youths have been tried in courts as adults.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 10 months ago

Yup. Don’t f@!# with God’s prophets when they are on a mission.

• 10 months ago

Okay, I admit it. I've got a significant amount of male pattern baldness.

As to the story, I think it's included because of lax editing standards. All the stories about the prophets were probably collected at some point, and written versions were piled up and sorted out for inclusion in the book of Kings. I suspect that someone insisted on including everything in the pile, regardless of quality.

This particular story was probably invented by someone whose idea of teaching children to behave themselves was threatening them with the bogeyman. And yes, I suspect the storyteller was bald.

Incidentally, I notice you've used a translation that describes the victims as "young juveniles." Let's be clear; the translation of the Hebrew term is "little boys." Don't let anyone con you into the notion that these were young men of responsible age; if your translation implies that, then the translator is lying to you about what the story really says.

• 10 months ago

I know a sweet bald guy who would not appreciate that...

• 10 months ago

It's amazing how you athee-evo types interpret the Bible. Below is the passage from the World English Bible.

He went up from there to Bethel. As he was going up by the way, some youths came out of the city and mocked him, and said to him, “Go up, you baldy! Go up, you baldhead!” He looked behind him and saw them, and cursed them in the name of Yahweh. Two female bears came out of the woods, and mauled forty-two of those youths (2Kg 2:23-24).

The details of the event are dependent upon the meaning of two ambiguous Hebrew words. The word translated as "youths" could be anything between a small child and someone in their 30s. And the word "mauled" could be anything between a small cut to something shredded apart. Thus the story could be interpreted as 42 three-year olds, having just learned to talk, marched out of the town as a group to playfully joke with a man about his follicly-challenged head, and then two bears rushed upon them, ripping them all to shreds, killing all of them. OR a gang of young men in their late teens or early 20s insulted and disrespected God's prophet (2Ch 36:16), resulting in them experiencing God’s discipline in the form of being wounded by two bears (Pr 20:30).

Of course, your God-hating athee-evos are going to naturally assume the former interpretation. A couple of things of significance should be noted though. First, how often do you see 42 small children engaging in anything as a group of their own volition? With such a large number, some coordination is necessary, which hints at some sort of gang. Second, throughout the Bible, when God has killed anyone, the word “killed” is used. In this case, the word “killed” was not used, thus it is an assumption to think so, and if so, would be an exception to similar situations throughout the scriptures.

Obviously the more common-sense interpretation of the passage is the latter. If God was going around killing innocent little kids for acting up, such would appear throughout the Bible.

When you juxtapose Num 14:29 with Dt 1:39, you can see how God does not hold children accountable for knowing right from wrong until they are age 20. If the gang was a mixture of boys around age 20, a quick corporal punishment that included some bumps and bruises would be in order. In contrast, under our more “modern and humane” system of justice, a young man of 18, making a “terrorist threat” to someone, could get a life sentence.

• BJ
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

The main reason for this mocking of Elisha appears to be that a bald man was wearing Elijah’s official garment. The children recognized Elisha as Jehovah’s representative and simply did not want him around.

They told him to go up, that is, keep going up to Bethel or be taken up as Elijah had been. The children evidently reflected the antagonistic attitude of their parents. How vital that parents teach their children to respect God’s representatives!

To answer this challenge of his being Elijah’s successor and to teach these young people and their parents proper respect for God’s prophet, Elisha called down evil upon the jeering mob in the name of the God of Elijah.

It was a test of his prophetship. Jehovah manifested his approval of Elisha by causing two she-bears to come out of the nearby woods and to tear to pieces 42 of them.

God tolerates no disrespect for his official servants. When the delinquents mocked Elisha as the prophet of Jehovah, He brought swift recompense.

• 10 months ago

My Goodness, you have gone out of your way to miss the point

They had just seen a Mighty Miracle God of a Fiery Chariot taking up Elijah to heaven and they Were mocking God and the man of God

Smart *** teenagers mocking God getting what they deserve, are we learning anything yet?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.