Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 months ago

Is there practical christianity today? If so which denominations?

I am Buddhist, but I love Christ's teaching too. My family is all Christian, Pentecostal denomination actually. I do not mind attending church with my family, as I enjoy dwelling in unity with all beings. They are all good beings but I notice with the service they never help in teaching and equipping people in how to bring forth the Christ nature in a such a suffering, troubled world. I notice this maybe considered "practical christianity," in contrast to fire and brimstone preaching and I wonder where it is today? 

• Paul

Right where it has always been - in the one Church Jesus Christ founded, which He said was to remain one, to which He promised the fullness of God's truth until the end of time.

The Church of Jesus Christ of latter Day Saints is a very practical religion. It claims to be THE restored church of Jesus Christ to the gentile nations preparatory to the return of Christ. It is led by revelation to living apostles. 

The purpose of the church is to change peoples nature over time and bring us Christ. The following practices support this:

1. The church has no paid ministry and almost all adult members serve in some temporary position of service in the church. The principle of sacrifice is taught as people serve in positions such as the bishop (like a minister), teachers, clerks, youth leaders, music directors, etc. The church currently has about 70 thousand full time missionaries who pay their own way. All male members above the age of 11 hold some level of priesthood authority and participate in serving others and performing life changing priesthood ordinances.

2. The church has a vast welfare system and members are taught to care for one another. Members contribute to the welfare system which provides warehouses to store food and commodities for  the poor and needy. Part of the welfare system includes the skills and knowledge of each member who may be asked to help someone in need.

3. Members are taught to live the law of tithing which is to give 10 percent of their increase to the church. There is no collection plate and donations are not in public. The money is used to support the programs of the church. Like all religious practices, tithing is between the member and God and is done because of their faith in God. Tithing teaches us to let go of the world and trust in God.

4. Members of the church are under covenant through baptism to repent and keep the commandments. Over time, as people pray, repent, change and serve others, hearts and motives change. This is what is meant by being born again.

5. Members are taught to be spiritually self reliant, learning how to hear the voice of God and be taught by the spirit. Most members know with surety through the power of the Holy Ghost, that God truly lives.

Members of the church believe in prayer, faith or trust in God, supporting strong families, honesty, work, getting an education, serving in the community, supporting good government, being self reliaint, caring for the poor, being generous, sacrifice of self for a good cause, moral cleanliness, etc. There is no coercion by church leaders and members learn the joy of service and obedience to God who is our loving Father in Heaven.

If everyone was a faithful member of the Church of Jesus Christ, there would be no war, crime, poverty, pornography, drug addiction, alcoholism, prisons, gangs, and very few broken marriages.

• Doc

I was reading an article today. There is a new streaming game coming out called " I Am a Jesus Christ " in which you get to enact JC. You win the game , you get nailed to a cross. You lose , the human race is damned to Hell.

Buddhism is a lie that leads to hell

Nobody can be good enough to avoid hell. The truth is that death leads to immediate heaven or hell, depending only on whether the person believed in Jesus for eternal life, or not.

.

The truth is that Jesus loves you and wants to bless your life freely :) Most of all, Jesus wants you with Him forever, and not in hell. The truth is that every belief except one will lead to eternal torment in the lake of fire for every person. Because nothing pays for our sins except the death and blood of Jesus, the sacrifice of Jesus that is already accomplished by Him . Jesus loves you! The truth is that Jesus is God, and Jesus died on the cross to pay for all of our sins in full, and then Jesus resurrected from the dead. Nothing else pays for our sins, not works, not deeds, not religions. So the only way to heaven and to avoid hell, is by believing in Jesus for eternal life (John 6:47), without adding any of your own works (Romans 4:5). Believe in Jesus to take you to heaven, and you will be in heaven, no matter what, guaranteed. That easy, thanks to Jesus! Tell Jesus that you thank Him that you will be with Him in heaven when you die, because you believe in Jesus! It is too late to be saved, after death

It IS being taught in some churches. I'm sorry to hear you're not encountering it in yours.

I don't think that difference necessarily goes by denominations; there may well be Pentecostal churches whose pastors offer the sort of guidance you're looking for.

• Dze

fire and brimstone preaching was actually most prevalent around the turn of the last century .. some are more practical than others .. alot of it is influenced by society taday things are so materialistic and about 'me' .. you hear alot of complaining about what this or that church is or can do for 'me' and not really alot of what can i bring to the church myself to benefit it ..

• Mack

First Christian (Disciples of Christ) and United Church of Christ are often open and loving Christian denominations. The Unitarian Universalists are completely nondogmatic and have Christian roots.

I have an aunt who in conversation with me at least says she doesn't really believe there's a god or souls. But she's really big into this small church because of the community, events, and charity work they do.

I think there's lots of churches that do that kind of thing locally, and it's something I can't really object to. I don't think it translates super well to when they get any bigger though.

You can't generalize by denomination. It depends on the individual congregation, the leadership and teaching style done there.

I was raised in the extremely legalistic church of Christ that taught strict adherence to church of Christ doctrines at the threat of hell, yet last week I went to a C of C with the most open, loving, accepting people with the most practical teachings I've ever experienced in the Christian religion.

I don't see how you can make a practical religion out of the idea that God, unable to forgive us for being born, had to come to Earth and sacrifice himself to prevent himself from throwing us in a place that he himself made to punish us for being born.