Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 10 months ago

Did you ever feel like you've wasted your better years?

I feel like what could've been the best time of my life was thrown away cause i wasn't wise enough or didn't had strengh enough to fight for it. And now the only expectation i have is to live a shalow life for the rest of my days. 

I really appreciate your answers. They are better and more than what I was expecting, I can't even chose one. Thank you!

I got GCSE's E-G and can't go college because sexy ladies don't study in college and I can't work because the only job I want to work in an office are not available to people that have GCSE's E-G I never had sexy girls in my secondary school classes from the start to the end all the children in my classes didn't want to learn or be friends with each other and the teachers spent the whole lessons counciling the children and I learnt hardly anything and I was well behaved and done all of my work.

I chose the wrong damned career and the wrong crazy woman.

Yeah, I've been thinking that a lot lately.  I have a good life now except for memories of the terrible decisions that I made when I was young.  I got off into the wrong career and didn't have sense enough to start over in a new one.  My mistake followed me for the next 25 years.  But it's not too late for either you or me to enjoy the time we have left.  Sounds like you might benefit from psychotherapy.

• LM440

I suspect a lot of people have this thought.  When making this statement, you are comparing unlike items because life has different stages and you live to accommodate each stage.  Barring extreme actions that are life changing, what fits at twenty seem foolish at sixty.  Life is a learning situation and maturity is the gained degree.  Please value today for all it worth and realize the past is past.

I had a baby as a teenager and felt a lot of pressure to go to college and be serious about my life for my child. I ended up devoting a lot of time to work and college and feeling guilt about my not seeing my child much. The worst part was I gave up the job I spent so long studying for because I hated it so much. I then went into a more successful career but feel like I should've spent more time raising my son in his earlier years until I discovered what career I really was suited to. My son is a lovely guy and a great person but he lacks drive and determination and is not working and I think its because I didn't work enough on raising his confidence and self esteem.

I certainly enjoyed my 20s and wouldn't have it any other way - I was more up to date and relevant with my generation than I was in my teens. The only downside was that I thought I was old and dressed a bit dowdy, even if it broke my heart.

I dress more like a Millennial now in my 30s and wish I didn't have low self worth in my 20s that I thought I didn't deserve to look nice. There was so much focus on teenagers that anyone older than 18 was seen as ancient and that really depressed me.

• Prince

No, because I KNOW that others wasted them for me. 

In hindsight, it seems that I should have done what was ethical and not let my feelings dictate me.

• j153e

The better time to plant a tree is 15-20 years ago.

The next good time is now.

You have awareness of "shallows" as in Shakespeare:  "There is a tide in the affairs of men, Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune; Omitted, all the voyage of their life Is bound in shallows and in miseries."  A "Brutal" call to arms (pun intended), which is true, yet there are opportunities all one's days.

"Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.'"  (John Greenleaf Whittier).

So you're not alone.  Make the most of what opportunities you have, correlate them with your fondest hopes.

E.g., at any age, begin regular modest payments to your future self in an interest-bearing IRA; simply talk with a banker and they'll help; do some online research before consulting with them.

At any age, you may have desires for peace, beauty, quiet; these may be correlated with your ability to pull up stakes and relocate in a quieter, rural area.

If you have romantic relationship goals, or care to improve your present relationship, Shaunti Feldhahn's "For Couples Only" will walk you through how to do so.

Even if you're beyond the timing of the "The Quarter-Life Breakthrough:   Invent Your Own Path, Find Meaningful Work, and Build a Life that Matters" will be helpful in catching up.

Keep your health steady and moderately exercised, healthy diet, eschew porn, drugs, indiscriminate sex, binge drinking, and pray to be healed of such tendencies and effects.

Incorporate a longer view:

Mere Christianity;

The Great Divorce;

The Path of the Higher Self;

Man, Master of His Destiny;

Autobiography of a Yogi;

Beams from Meher Baba;

Answers, by Mother Meera; https://www.mothermeera.com

Overall, No. There could have been better choice made a few times, but overall, No.