Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

What do I do if my mother won’t let me see my father for Christmas and it wrecks the day and week?

She said we’ll see which usually means no. She hates him as do my sisters but I don’t. They pressure me for not hating him since it’s all they talk about. My parents divorced 5 years ago cause he lied about money to keep my mom from getting angry.

Guardian: Trust me, it is ALL they talk about. If there was more to the story I would know. It is simply my mother using is against our Dad and that makes her a child abuser. 

• Linda
    Favorite Answer

When I say we'll see I usually mean no, so i can relate. It's too bad that she hates him because it doesn't have to be that way. Some people don't realize that by being unforgiving it hurts others. Regardless of what he did, it's still your dad and you have a right to be in a relationship with him if you choose. If they had gone to court the dad usually has visitation and usually holidays are shared between parents. If she is adamant about it due to her having guardianship of you, all you can do is voice your opinion and ask your dad to go to court to get more visitation for you. Your mom and sister sound vindictive and this isn't fair to you.

i would see him anyways and dont tell your mom

It's terrible that some people after divorce remain so bitter. That's your mother.

Do you have his phone number? call him and ask to see him over the holidays.

I highly doubt the reason shes keeping you from your dad is because of money issues... Theres something shes not telling you. Do you live with your mom 100% of the time? Because that usually means the court deemed something wrong on your dads part to award full custody to your mom. Are you allowed to see him ever? Not just this holiday? He might not have visitation rights if you never see your father. If you have in the past and she just doesnt want you to see him this christmas, then theres nothing she can do to prevent you from calling him up and asking him to pick you up so you can spend time with him. If you never see him and he doesnt have visitation rights, then you seeing him without your mothers permission could land him in jail. 

Listen to your mother.

You put her in an awkward position when you ask her dumb questions, love.

If you can't see your daddy, your mom hates him, your sisters hate him..... then that usually means there's possibly more to the story no one's telling you.

Trust your mother.

Does your father have visitation which was ordered by the Courts? If so, your mother can't stop you from seeing your father, and if she does, she's in contempt of court.

Meanwhile, just because a mother is bitter over the divorce, and the father's past behavior, it doesn't mean she ought to keep the children away from him. There are cases where fathers don't get visitation or only supervised. You didn't mention whether your dad has visitation rights or not.

You don't have to hate. That's a strong word. I don't understand this at all.

and if your father lied to your mother about money or anything else, that's between your mom and dad, and has nothing to do with you kids.

• Murzy

You can FACETIME him.

Call your dad and get him to pick you up. This is your decision and your mom and sisters don’t have to come with you to see him. You can go by yourself. You can spend half of the Christmas with each parent. I know these types of situations are hard, and I wish you luck.