Steven asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 months ago

Non-therapist seeks help to council a depressed penpal. Or seeking a rp partner for her.?

I have a penpal named Ivy and we communicate through kik. She suffers from depression and the only thing she claims will help her is doing roleplays. However, she doesn't play as herself, it must be a character she created. She almost never does original settings, it must be from a show/movie/videogame she's familiar with. It must be a rp and not an interactive story, cyoa, or even D&D campaign. It most certainly not involve sexual content of any kind or else it'll trigger the times she was raped. And of course the partner must be detailed and write in multiple sentences per post.

Because of this small window of playability, she has had no luck finding someone (except me) that meets all the criteria, after two years of looking. And what's worse, some of the people she does find harass her, or post fake posts that claim she's a slut and is looking for doms to cyber-sex with her. She is finally done searching for partners. But we have different schedules and life styles. So I can't council/rp with her all the time.

I need help in helping her. Can a professional shed some wisdom on this matter? Or can someone that can fit the criteria listed keep her company when I'm busy. I want her to be happy, but I have exhausted all resources. I need outside help.

P.S. I also suggested doing another hobby, but she said that she tried pretty much everything, and only rp makes her happy.

Please tell them to see a doctor thanks to

Confirm any depression if so ask doctor if

Free cognitive behaviour therapy will help?

If yes please see.

Moodgym ANU

Mindspot.org.au

Thanks

Very Best Wishes

Mars

Source:) Personal views cited

and quals in CBT

She has more problems than you can solve, and while this is kind of interesting, they are HER problems, not yours.

On the other hand, she might try her hand at theater - it could be therapeutic and a good way to get out of the house.

I have a comment about hobbies, which can be very good for a depressed person. The problem with hobbies is that they involve learning skills, and this can be frustrating. The man in the video wrote a book about this problem.

You're in no position to counsel, unless maybe to provide facts about how depression is treated, not recommending any particular thing because you don't know what she needs.

Whenever you help her to take her mind off her problems for a while, that is therapeutic. Your job is basically recreation, not psychotherapy, which should be left to professionals. If you want to listen to her problems, OK but you're not required to provide any solutions.

Again, you don't know what she needs. There's no one size fits all solution. There's information in this answer, under DEPRESSION TREATMENTS. She can discuss these things with family members or her doctor.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150...

Video the first 20 hours in learning a skill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MgBikgcWnY

Youtube thumbnail

&t=785s

• martin

All a therapy patient needs is kindness and patience. The rest, she can settle and figure out herself.

You aren't required to sacrifice your life to keep another person happy.