Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 2 months ago

Upset about sister not attending baby shower?

I had my baby shower this past weekend and my sister (who was organising) pulled out 48 hours ahead of time because of gastro. 

I was very upset as she had cut corners with the organisation and I felt she wasn’t REALLY sick and maybe just exaggerating.

The day came and went and it turns out she had organised many nice things which were surprises. She even tried to post baby photos and comments like ‘I hope everyone is having fun’ online during the event to stay somewhat involved. 

Now I feel terrible.

I overreacted and jumped to conclusions. 

I feel horrible she had to miss the party she organised and it was so lovely I’m just miserable that she wasn’t there to share in the day. 

I rang her to thank her but I still feel very upset and sad whenever I think about it. 

Pregnancy hormones are not helping whatsoever and I’m an emotional wreck.

How do I rectify this situation?

Buy Sis a nice gift and deliver it in person so you can apologize face to face.

You already rang her, what else is there to do.  Seriously you hormones are getting away with you.

• Will

Just start singing Let It Go. Seriously. If your sister doesn't know you became furious with what you thought was happening and I'm sure she apologized needing to for back out due to issues, then nothing needs to resolved. You jumped to a conclusion and it ends there. Your sister doesn't know, right? Just quit dwelling on it and move on.

• Teal

It doesn't sound like you told her any of this, so no actual harm was done. As far as she knows everything went fine and you enjoyed yourself. You need to forgive yourself and let it go. Rationally you know that your feelings are being exaggerated by hormones and stress. One of the best ways to cope with these feelings is mindfulness meditation, it's something you can teach yourself and there are lots of resources online. Though I like the book Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World. It will help you look at these bad thoughts and feelings in a more detached way and prevent you from acting impulsively.

• C

It's the hormones talking.  The next time you see your sister give her a big hug and thank her for doing such a great job.  Then draw a line under it.  In due course there will be an opportunity to do something nice for your sister.

you apologized. you did the part of forgiving. now you lean and live on.