Anonymous

The company I work for got bought out. Should I be worried?

I just received news the other day at my job that the company got bought out. The company was actually doing well and this buyout was due to the company's strong desire to grow significantly. When the company announced it to all of us, they presented it as a great, positive thing for all of us due to the substantial growth it will bring. But I've always heard that buyouts can cause layoffs and everything. Is that true? Should I be worried about this?

• Judith
    Favorite Answer

I have a friend who was unfortunate enough to have worked for two companies which were bought out by other larger companies.  She lost her accounting job both times.  Depends upon your job and whether or not they have someone or somebodies already doing it who can take on the extra work.  She was not the only person to have lost her job.  Should you be worried?  I would be but I guess you can't do anything but wait and see.

Luckily for my friend she found new jobs pretty easily working for temp agencies and she was picked up by companies she did temp work for.  Guess it depends upon your job and skills.  I will say, though, that it was a good 6 months before she got another permanent job.  She was quite a saver and had the money and along with her unemployment benefits, she did fine financially.

• Judy

Depends on what your job is. In production, you're probably ok. In support like IT or accounting,could be a problem.

• WiseMan2 months agoReport

Ouch! I am in Accounting.

• Carmen

Just be cautious stay alert ask questions do research if needed on the meaning of a buy out and how employees are affected pray over matter a wise person sees the danger and protects themselves.

Who knows?  It could be great under the new company or they could be intending to strip the assets of your company and then run.

Source(s): Been there. I worked for a company that got bought out and the new company did what can only be called rape before shutting down the company, leaving everyone jobless.