Joseph B asked in HealthWomen's Health · 10 months ago

Should Men Be OBN/GYN Doctors?

I recently saw a sign advertising an OB/GYN clinic which stated that the clinic was "women for women."  Does this mean that men should not OB/GYN doctors?  

• :)

No, not at all. Some women just prefer to have another woman. But men are perfectly capable. The OB GYN field is not glamorous and sexy. Most men do not go into it for some sexual thrill; they go into it because they’re good, and they’re passionate about it. I did a summer internship in labor and delivery (I’m in my final year of nursing school). The OBGYNs were 50% male, and they were honestly my FAVORITES. They rocked. They were respectful. And there was nothing creepy. I’d let them deliver my baby.

I currently have a female gyno, but I did have a male before. He did an exam on me and everything. I wasn’t uncomfortable at all.

• Edna

Most OB/GYN's ARE men; and there are more male OB/GYN's than there are women OB/GYN's. There's nothing unusual about it. Many women PREFER a male doctor over a female doctor. 

• Lili

There are plenty of male OB/GYNs, but the number is diminishing, because a lot of women are going into the field, and many women patients do prefer a female OB/GYN.

So, I'd say it's probably not the best specialization these days if you are male.  I've had some good male OB/GYNS, but a male med student probably should consider another field.

Unless he's just dying to deliver babies. One of my male OB/GYNS went into the field because he really enjoyed delivering babies and wanted happy patients.

They sure can become an OB GYN. Many female patients will refuse a male doctor though. (I would).

Some women just want to go to women (or take their daughters to women) but men are fully capable of being a competent OB/GYN.

I've heard some irrational ideas about male OB/GYN's over the years, but it's highly improbable that a man is going to go through the process of getting the necessary education, internship, etc. simply to get to look at girl's/women's genitals (especially because many of the patients are only there because they are having issues).

The best people should enter every field

Gender should not play a role

Totally wrong, I know many women who prefer to go to a male OBN/GYN. Your choice. I know of other women who will not let any man touch or look down there

No, traditionally most OB/GYN doctors were men. It's only within the past few years that many women have entered that field. Some women are much more comfortable being cared for by a woman doctor, who is more likely to understand them from personal experience. Some women are extremely modest, and it upsets them to have a male doctor, no matter how professionally he behaves.

No, it doesn't mean that men shouldn't be obstetricians and gynecologists. I think that the sign most probably meant that there were only women working in that clinic.

Men CAN and DO work as obstetricians and gynecologists. It's purely a less common case than women who do so, and this is because both of the specialty areas of medicine tend to be matriarchal (dominated by women). That is because for some girls and women, exposing their private anatomy - especially if they're not used to it because it's for the first time -  can be embarrassing enough and uncomfortable for them, so they feel much more comfortable seeing a female doctor.

Understand however, when someone sees a doctor, it's not so much the person's gender that matters. How they feel with the person is more important. If someone personally doesn't want to see a male obstetrician or a male gynecologist, then fair enough, they don't need to go to one.

• sian

Personally l don't think they should be. But that's an opinion.

One thing I can determine is that l will never see a male doc.