Dad was in the rears for childsupport in Louisiana ?

The child support office told my mom they couldn't find my dad so the child support case was closed , we after all these years I'm now 30 years old and my dad just applied for ssi disability,  for kidney failure because he was an alcoholic.. will my mom be able to get child support payments even though I'm grown..

When I turned 18 is when she gotten a letter saying they couldn't find him

He still owes the money, sure. He obviously has none, so I doubt she ever collects.

If he was in arrears, the debt to you mother is still valid.

On the other hand, if he actually qualifies for disability, he doesn't have the ABILITY to pay. Your age is totally irrelevant.

You can reopen a child support case and you can force somebody to take a paternity test if you claim that they are your parents and that they never paid your child support you're not going to get any money out of his SSI or social security check but you may be able to put a lien against his house and when he dies the property will go to you in lieu of your child support that was never paid you'll have to ask a lawyer about this

• STEVEN F

ABSOLUTE BS. If he was in arrears, paternity had already been legally established.

she can try to get them

First of all, your dad was not "in the rears". Rather, he was "in arrears". The latter means he was not up to date on making his payments. The former means he was into some sort of anal sex play. They're two totally different things.

Louisiana civil code cc3501-1 puts a ten year statute of limitations on the collection of child support payments.

This does not mean that the ability to collect the money just goes away after ten years. There are events that could happen during that period that could extend (or 'toll') the statute of limitations.

I would recommend that your mother contact an attorney there who's familiar with collecting child support and knows all the maneuvers to best achieve collection. Most attorneys (at least the good ones) will give her at least a 10-15 minute consult for free (or real low cost) to review the particulars and let her know if there's anything that can be done.

• Tavy

Far too late now, support has ended. So is he supposed to give you his benefit and starve.

Hell no, child support ends when children are 18 years old, or 23 if they are attending college. The welfare your mother received expired. They may go after your dad for reimbursement, but you won't see a dime of it. That department exists because families break up or never get formed.

• The Devil

He owes reimbursement to CPS, not the mother who continued collecting welfare while the kids qualified. Child support goes to the mother through CPS which does nothing to control how she spends the money.

Opse! He should of payed!

• The Devil

Oh yeah- so what. I'm here to learn, not argue. I can't help a fool, though. The sailor "payed" out the line to the bitter end, would be correct if the term "payed" was used. "Of" was still out of place.