Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareOther - General Health Care · 2 months ago

Vomited til 3am, slept til 9am. Would you fast as long as possible for healing, or attempt bland food right away to see if it will stay down?

I was unable to keep down even water, and had hiccups over and over. What came up was possibly blood turned brown in color more than anything red. But the stomach was clearly upset. Right now it feels like sharp hunger pains from being empty, and no doubt I'm dehydrated. I've read about BRAT, bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast, which is what I'd be eating one at a time to see what can stay down, starting with applesauce cause it requires the least digestion effort. Or would you wait til later?

The last thing eaten was cannelloni for 12 pm lunch yesterday, but I don't think that was it. It was more likely a combo of too many drugs mixed together in an attempt to stop abdominal cramping, starting with MiraLAX, then two Excedrin - a total of 500 mg, (totally in keeping with instructions), then two 50 mg Tramadol when the Excedrin didn't help. Yet I had never had a problem w/ a similar combo before, looking to relieve pain in the mean time while MiraLAX can take up to 24 hours to work.  

Right now I'm afraid to even try to drink water. Although, if it did come right back up, one could argue that it's the body's natural attempt to rid itself of something bad, so deliberately flushing it out might be a good thing, although I've never heard of anyone trying that before. 

I don't think it's the flu cause I had the flu shot and have no other flu-like symptoms. 

Some doctors say to follow up MiraLax with lots of water to help it along, but right now I can't even do that, and the cramps, which had gone away due to pain killers are coming back cause the pain killers are wearing off. I know, I 'masked the pain.'

• Joe

Force yourself to sip fluids like Gatorade but eat only if you're hungry.

Eat something with a little bit of salt, which your body needs to absorb water. Saltine crackers are great. Then work up to chicken soup, or a slice of honey crisp apple if you can tolerate it.

• Aa

Go to the emergency room. If you can't even hold down water, that's really bad. You're losing nutrients and, if this continues, this will make you very weak. Something similar happened to my mom, she became very weak because she vomited even the electrolytes she drank. Took her to the emergency room where she was given an IV. She had amoeba in her stomach/intestine which required medical intervention to fix.

Source(s): something similar happened to my mom

Small sips of water or flat ginger ale etc. you don’t flush anything as the cause of this isn’t sitting in your stomach, if you too fluids for a few hours,then try something very bland, like rice or toast.  No fats, no citrus, etc.

• abdul

Start with liquids to see if they will stay down. You need to rehydrate after vomiting for so long. If you can keep, maybe some weak sweet tea down, try adding some soda crackers to see if you can keep those down too. Just take it rather slow and easy to avoid causing more stomach discomfort.

You got the flu

I start by attempting to keep one piece of toast and a tea down. if it comes up, wait 4 more hours, try again.  And maybe some scrambled eggs too, with a little cheese, then. You dont want to make that first meal anything adventurous. Bland is good, dont make your tummy have to work hard. No complicated meats or tomato sauces, spices,onions, pastas, NO. Just bland and very easy to digest. Scrambled eggs with cheese, toast and a tea.

READ MY COMMENT BELOW (at Matt85's post). YOU NEED TO GO TO THE  ER NOW.

• audrey

I'd eat whatever i felt like eating.

• Matt85

Sorry to hear you are unwell, get well soon!!

To answer your question: I would fast until my tummy rumbles. So nothing until I'm really hungry.

Update: If you're vomiting blood, you need to go to hospital.