Jake

POLLS: Why do some boomers hate technology?

like my Uncle hes always like "back then we never had phones we used to talk face to face". "I play guitar, and we never had the internet, if we wanted to learn a song we would buy the record and play it on the record player". "In class we had to use the library, there was no Google"

but then I tell him, so what? Are not suppose to get better and try different things? Are supposed to stay the way we did in the 70's? If in the 70's all you could do do was that, and going forward you didn't improve would you be satisfied? We are suppose to evolve and get better, not stay where we were back then, we are suppose to try different things. 

Cause they believe that they are suppose to use less technology because it works, but technology works too.

All older generations hate/envy younger generations.

Your UNCLE answered that question for me perfectly. Fact is... your generation is NOT smarter in spite of all of the seemingly incredible advantages. So maybe 'technology' is not living up to its promise. In fact - it's not. It could be argued that it is causing more harm than good. Especially when it comes to how we interact with people and respond to the world around us.

• Lili

Most like technology just fine.  The vast majority do, and they use it regularly.

I must point out that unless your uncle is unusually old, he's been using phones all his life. The telephone was invented in the mid-19th century.  Presumably, your uncle isn't 150 years old.

As for Google, I do have to tell you that sites you find online are usually intellectually and academically inferior to real books and journal articles.  I don't let my students cite most of them, because they're just too superficial.  You can't learn in-depth from them; they don't offer college-level information, discussion, and analysis.

But that's not a matter of technology, just of content. There's a serious difference.

It's perfectly normal for adults to think whatever they grew up with was better. You'll be exactly the same someday when you have children and grandchildren.