Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 8 months ago

I am visiting an aunt today and she is going to ask me what my estranged sister is up to not knowing she's estranged. What do I say?

Do I tell her how cruel my sister has gotten or do I just fib and say "oh she is fine"?

It is the aunt who is estranged from 2 of her 4 siblings (my mother still talks to her) and so she is not going to judge estrangement. Estrangement is actually a family tradition in my mother's family. 

Extraordinary tradition! I do get a bit perplexed when adults refuse to converse. Kids, perhaps - teenagers even. But adults?! Just tell your aunt that you are not speaking at the moment. 

Tell the truth.

i would just say shes fine

Just say you don't know.

I guess it depends on how close you are to your aunt and how you think she would take it. You don't have to talk your sister down to say you are not really seeing eye to eye or speaking at the moment. She may even have some words of wisdom for you.

• mmm

How about honesty with a little bit of reserve? I'm not really sure I haven't heard from her much.

Just say she's fine and if she pushes, just say my sister and I are very busy and don't see each other much.