apple asked in PetsRodents · 10 months ago

What if my two female rats are drawing blood ?

Poppy and dobby live in a huge cage which is meant for 4 ferrets. They are both bitting each other to blood but they never bite me. What to do?

When I separated them after about 15 min they started to freak out. The cage is a two level cage with a wire level which I cover with a Couple layers of beach towels, so that there is no bumble foot. When I put in the metal mesh separator to cover the small part of the second floor Dobby started to chew the Bars and go up the lava ledge stairs that I made them and started chewing at the wire separator and poppy started frantically looking for a way to get under the towels 

Also they both love to sleep together 

Now that I separated them and got them back together they have stopped fighting but about 3 weeks after they were separated one of the two started itching her self to blood what to do

• DJC

Separate them, now.  If they're biting each other, it's for a reason.  Most rats are very friendly, but some can be aggressive.  There's a possibility they're scared and just uncomfortable with each other.  I would recommend a phase-in strategy along with close monitoring.  Separate the rats.  Tomorrow, put the rats in the big cage for 15 minutes; monitor closely; when the time is up, return them to their separate residences for the night.

The next day, put the rats in the big cage for 30 minutes; monitor closely; when the time is up, return them to their separate residences.

The next day, put the rats in the big cage for 45 minutes; monitor closely; when the time is up, return them to their separate residences.

Keep doing this for about a week or two, increasing the increments if you see improvement, and decreasing the increments if you see regression.  Document your findings.  If you notice that they're fighting when you feed them and not so much between feedings, then you may have found your reason.  A good way to stop rats from fighting over food is to designate food bowls for both of them.  Don't put all of the food into a communal food bowl to be shared.  Put Poppy's food in one bowl and Dobby's food in the other bowl.  If it's not food, then keep observing and documenting.

If by the end of this period, your rats are still fighting, then they need to be assessed by a veterinarian.  One or both of them could be naturally aggressive and antisocial, refusing to be with another rat.  If this is the case, you'll need to accept the fact that the aggressive rat will need to be in a solitary cage for the rest of her life.  Hope this helps.  Feel free to comment on the answer if you have any questions.

Source(s): I've had pet rats for 2½ years.
  • PAMELA

Seperate them of course, before one kills the other, rats rarely fight like that, something is wrong.