I have only worked at my current job for 6 months. I just got an offer for a better job. How do I not feel bad about quitting?

Was supposed to relocate in January to a different area that really needed me to be there, but that doesn't look like it is going to happen. A lot of time has been invested in my development here and I have grown a lot. My manager took a risk hiring me too, but I am going to be making at least 10K more at the new job.

• Bort

Money isn't everything. You have a rare thing at your current job. You have a bit of job security there which almost nobody has anywhere anymore. Is the new job in the same field? Is it the same sort of position? Everything's the same or is it just more money? If you stay where you are for another 6 months or several years will you eventually get enough raises to be making that much there anyway?

I would seriously consider staying where I am if I were you. The new job might suck, you might hate it. And that kind of thing matters a lot more than money some times, at least to some people. If it doesn't matter to you and you can deal with hating your job and your entire life because you hate your job and you're ok with being that miserable take the new job for the money. Otherwise...seriously think about what you have now vs what you'll be getting yourself in to and not having any more.

• Scott

By not feeling bad about quitting to take a better job.

Talk to your supervisor.

They might be interested in matching your offer. 

• martin

Have a talk with your manager. Tell him frankly about the 10k more.