how do you hook up a refrigerator? Do you just plug it in if you do not have an icemaker?

Home Depot delivered my refrigerator and told me they could not do the installation even though I paid for it. I told them to take it back cause I do not know how to install and said I would order through Lowes instead.  They said Lowes would not install either.  

Outlet available and measured the space.  Basically swapping out the old for the new.  Had the old fridge about 11 years and it died so needed a new fridge. 

I called HomeDepot and spoke with customer service and they said she is not sure why they did not install they should have.  She said she could send them back out. I said I was going to order from Lowes instead.  The delivery guys were young so maybe they did not know what they were doing.  I have no clue and the customer service agent I spoke with at Home Depot was unsure also. 

• I care
    Favorite Answer

Person gave you wrong information about Lowes,  one has to check to see if the place they order from installs it properly.  So sorry that Home Depot didn't install your icemaker.  We all have had incidents like this from time to time when learning about setting up our homes.  Hope you find an excellent contractor perhaps through good friends that know of one to help in such as this.  Good luck John.  

• STEVEN F

NO, The person CORRECTLY stated that Lowes has EXACTLY the same installation policies as Home Depot.

BS. Installing consists of physically placing it and plugging it in. You DID NOT pay extra for installation. That is included in the delivery.

If you order an appliance that won't FIT in the space or there isn't an outlet available, NO ONE will fix that.

BOTH Home Depot and Lowes have restrictions about access to the installation location that are EXACTLY the same.

• GTB

yes that is what you do

Think about all of the weight on the flooring and you might want to protect it from damage. Don't tear up the flooring when you have to pull it back out. Like you will have to clean underneath it. If that is OK, plug it in and push it back into place.  Would you tell us why the delivery guys from Home Depot could not install the refrigerator?  If they can't install it, you can't install it.  Is it too big to fit?  Call Home Depot and have them come and get the refrigerator. Stop payment on the purchase.   You have to measure the space and there are websites that show you how.  A trip to Lowes to talk about this before you purchase would be a good idea. 

• Rick

IF it was laid-down during transit, stand it upright and let is sit for a day BEFORE you plug it in ...................

• Kieth

Just plug it in and let it run for 12 hours before you put anything perishable in it.

• y

I'm curious as to why they said they couldn't install it and what that actually consisted of?  Most just fit in to whatever spot and get plugged into a dedicated circuit.

Plug it in and you're done.

if the refrigerator does not have built in ice maker, yes u just plug it into standard 120V outlet.