kayla asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 10 months ago

Why do my eyes water when watching a certain movie?

I don’t normally cry when watching movies. But I was watching one movie that one person was explaining to her boyfriend that she had a heart transplant, then her boyfriend got hit by a car. Someone told her that he got run over by car and died and she was grieving, then her boyfriend was alive and she was happy. Those moments made my eyes water so I felt overwhelmed with emotions. The tears didn’t roll down the cheeks. So I don’t know what’s wrong with me. Like is this normal or what? Thanks for the feedback. 

• AndyF

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you. You felt empathy, or kinship, with the situation and characters and that is a good thing. It's the same as feeling happiness and joy for a friend's good fortune, like their wedding.

Perhaps while viewing said scene, you are simultaneously preparing dinner, which involves the chopping of onions.

• Janet

Strong emotion of any kind can make our eyes water.