Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOptical · 10 months ago

Glasses full time and thinned lenses?

My 14 year old daughter recently got an eye test and the doctor said she needs glasses for distance.

The guy who is selling the glasses really wants me to pay extra for thinned lenses. He says they'll make a big difference etc.

Also, he told her that she has to wear them all the time and that's something she really doesn't want to do because she's also getting braces soon.

This is her prescription: Not sure what it means

OD: -3.25 SPH

Is the guy right?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

Definitely get them thinned down. Kids can be very cruel at school and you don't want her getting bullied  

• 9 months ago

Try going to a different shop. The prescription will be accepted anywhere.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

With that prescription, she will have to wear them all the time! NOT A BIG DEAL as most everyone will have to wear glasses at sometime in their life! Yes she should get the thinner lenses because its a strong prescription and will be able to see better. She can probably get contacts later if she wants, but needs to have glasses anyways. Contacts are nice but can get really expensive as to glasses you get a good pair and take care of them they will last! Once she gets her glasses, she will see so much better that she will wear them all the time anyways and once she starts driving, she will need them.

• 10 months ago

There are some outliers but I think that I can say that if your daughter is not wearing her glasses, she is placing way too much emphasis on her appearance. If you need glasses like what she has been prescribed, everything farther away than thirteen inches is a blur. Polycarbonate lenses would be appropriate for a child with this prescription. I don't think that you need to go with higher index lenses than that unless she is going to be wearing a very large frame. Contact lenses probably make the more sense. If you do that, you can get her the cheapest glasses possible. She does need a pair of glasses. She does need to wear some kind of vision correction all of the time at school.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 10 months ago

He's the doctor, and if your daughter doesn't want to follow his advice, i guess she doesn't have to.

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Your daughter is moderately myopic - nearsighted.

She will most likely need glasses for movies and TV, and definitely to see the board in school.

Lots of teens, even older than 14, have both braces and glasses. 

Help her pick out a cute pair. 

• Linda
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

I don't think so and if you want a second opinion, do so. With a prescription like that, she does need to wear glasses and with braces also. She might be able to wear contacts later if she can handle putting something in her eye. Not all teens can do that.

• glcang
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

We have all been so brainwashed by the medical profession to the point of absurdity.

There are some things you should read before submitting and  committing your daughter to a lifetime of glasses

Read the Bates Method.

It’s one of many alternatives that shows how we have been hoodwinked ( no pun intended) into thinking glasses are necessary.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.