Karl asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 8 months ago

If 5 vegan/vegetarians and 1 meat eater go out to lunch, will the v/v ensure there are meat choices? Meat eaters usually ensure v/v choices?

• Jerry

I don't understand your concern. It's not like you eat nothing but meat dishes, so what would be the big deal about meat dishes not being available? Is eating meat so compelling that you must do it with every single meal? 

As a general rule I suggest Asian placed where both meat and vegan dishes are available. No, I'm not a vegan but I do prefer vegan choices when dining away from home for health reasons. 

Why should they?  A meat eater can eat vegetarian for once in a while with no problem.

• denise

Well, if I was the 'meat eater' on the lunch outing, I'd have a vegan / vegetarian lunch with my fellow diners, the meals can be quite tasty.

I personally don't need meat at every meal and frankly, most all restaurants, cafe's etc offer plenty of both.

The #1 reason meat eaters ensure v/v choices is common sense: v/v don't eat meat. Meat eaters do indeed eat v/v choices.

• Suzy Q

They don't need to 'ensure' this. Unless they go out of their way to find one of the few vegetarian restaurants (which most wouldn't do without first discussing this with the non-vegetarian) there simply will be meat options.

Seriously, exactly what are you expecting? That the vegetarians will start calling random restaurants to check the availability of meat? Why would they? When you go out for lunch, do you start calling places to make sure they serve meat? 

99% of meat eaters have no moral or dietary issues that prevents them from eating vegetables.

Therefore, why would that group need to accomodate them..? They can forgo meat for a single meal. A vegan can't necessarily include meat in a meal.

If this person had some sort of bizarre religious or moral requirement to ONLY eat meat, I could see more of an imperative for a courtesy.

• JJ

No, the vegan and vegetarians will not ensure that there are meat choices for meat eaters.  Meat eaters can easily forego eating meat for one meal.  

• Bill

It's hard to find a restaurant that doesn't offer meat.

• Louis

No. 

and not all meat-eaters "ensure there are v/v choices". only the considerate ones do. And it doesn't hurt a meat eater not to eat meat at EVERY meal. in fact, eating a salad once in a while is not a hardship - it's good for you. 

Vegans and some vegetarians prefer restaurants that don't serve meat at all. For them its at least a treat to go to a v/v restaurant. Some vegans won't go anywhere else. 

If the meat eater doesn't want to go - he can stay home.