Girl
Girl asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 8 months ago

If I have 225 water atoms, how many molecules of water do I have?

Thanks a lot for the answers everyone

Sorry question is  unclear, but what I mean is 225 atoms (WHICH constitute water) but I would like to know how many molecules of water I can get from 225 atoms .... !!!

If you have 150 atoms of hygrogen, and 75 atoms of oxygen, they can be combined to give you 75 molecules of water.

150 + 75 = 225

• Jim

Water is H2O, which is 3 atoms per water molecule.

225 atoms (1 water/3atoms) = exactly 75 water molecules

Each molecule of water contains three atoms So # = 225/3 = 75 (at most)

< but what I mean is 225 atoms (WHICH constitute water) but I would like to know how many molecules of water I can get from 225 atoms .. >

If you had 225 atoms of oxygen, you can't make any water.  If you had 225 atoms of hydrogen you also can't make any water.

If you had a mixture, it would depend on the amounts of each you had.  

Let's say you had 100 atoms of oxygen and 125 atoms of hydrogen.  You could make 62 molecules of water which would contain 124 atoms of hydrogen and 62 atoms of oxygen.  You would also have 1 atoms of hydrogen and 38 atoms of oxygen left over that you can't do anything with.

• martin

75 because H2O, being water, is 2 atoms of hydrogen and one of oxygen. That's 3 atoms in each molecule of water. So divide 3 into 225 = 75.

• Dr W

1 water = 3 atoms.... 2 H atoms + 1 O atom

if you have 225 atoms (150 H atoms + 75 O atoms), you could form 

.. 225 atoms * (1 H2O / 3 atoms) = 75 H2O molecules

225 Molecules of water.

• cmac'm

A water molecule consists of three atoms