L asked in Education & ReferenceStudying Abroad · 10 months ago

Can I get a master's degree in finance in the US as an international student?

I live in Albania and graduated Law. I do understand that i cannot study/practice law in USA but what about mastering in economics? First of all, is that possible and second of all, are there any methods for a scholarship? If not, how many years does masters in economics last and how much per year? 

6 Answers

  • drip
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

    Almost all info you need will be on each university’s web site.

    Tuition costs vary from school to school. It also varies depending on you area of study


    Then you have room and board costs. That can vary depending on what location of the school.  

    My daughter lives by UC Davies,  a one bedroom apartment will be about $1400 per month. Plus food, utilities, health insurance , transportation just to name a few things. 

    Check the school’s web site to see if any scholarships are available to international students. Most scholarships will be academic, based on your grades.


    Masters degree is usually two years. 

  • 10 months ago

    Finance or Economics?  Two different subjects and they do not really overlap.  To do a Master's in either, you will need some grounding in the subject.  If you do not have that, you will need to do this as a second undergraduate degree.  If the plan is to become a financially literate lawyer, then I recommend going with finance not econ.

    I recommend you look at Europe rather than the US.  Not only will this be far cheaper but it will also be faster.  You do not say what language proficiency you have but Italy and the Netherlands are good places to start.  I suggest Switzerland too

  • 10 months ago

    Sure, if you (& your parents) have the money, you can apply for admission to graduate schools for a master's degree program in economics or finance or business administration IF you meet all prerequisites for admission. That would include some undergraduate coursework in the field. You would be competing for admission with those who majored in the field & have 30 or more credits in the field. You will NOT be able to keep up with other grad students in the field you choose unless you have some undergraduate coursework in that field. 

    Expect to need a minimum of USD50,000/year for 2 years for a master's degree program. Of course, for high-cost schools in high-cost areas of US, you could easily need $100,000/year. Lots of hidden expenses in grad school. You cannot work - strictly prohibited. You must prove you have sufficient funds for all school + living expenses + return transportation to your country to apply for student visa IF a university accepts you. 

    You MUST return to your country of citizenship immediately upon completion or termination of full-time studies. NO chance of any employment visa as these fields are pretty well glutted in US (& elsewhere). Probably is not worth the expense since you have no job opportunities except whatever is needed in Albania.

  • 10 months ago

    You can study there - as long as you can afford it.

    It still won't lead to a work visa.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 10 months ago

    Yes, Its possible but you need to explain why do you want to change fields from LAW to Economics/Finance 

    Most Masters in Economics courses last two years full-time, depending on the institution and country the fee varies. The average tuition fees in USA for Master's in Economics is approx 20,000 – 30,000 USD/year 

    There are many Scholarships for Masters Economics for International Students, some of the more popular are:

    VLIR-UOS Training and Masters Scholarships:

    British Chevening Scholarships:

    Radboud Scholarship Programme for International Students:

    Holland Scholarship for Non-EEA International Students:

    ETH Zurich Excellence Masters Scholarships:

    AAUW International Fellowships in the USA for Women:

  • 10 months ago

    i dont see why not

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.