The ancient Sumerian tablets are the oldest text known. Why do Theologians disregard them and the Eridu Genesis as mythology?

I do not find it wise for Biblical Scholars and our trusted spiritual leaders to dismiss such an astounding account of mans creation. I find it near impossible for these ancient people to even have such language that describes technology that is within those text unless they actually existed. Interpretation of the Cuneiform language seems to be at the crux of the issue but it does not exclude its validity. It is obvious to me that many of our Biblical writings derive from these older text, such as The Epic Of Gilgamesh speaks of the flood and pre-diluvian culture. In all it creates a platform of debate I feel should not be ignored.     

Update:

I meant to write " Unwise " in the first sentence 

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Derek
    Lv 5
    9 months ago
    Favourite answer

Christian theologians do not disregard those texts but take them into account when dealing with ancient  and O.T. writings. I have books here, written by Christian scholars, that deal with the matter. One that is right to hand is "Old Testament Faith" published in 1986, with a chapter about Babylonian and Sumerian legends and tales. It explains how stories about a catastrophic flood abound, which is no surprise if it actually happened as Moses wrote. If the Bible was the only source of such a story, we would be wondering why no other nations detailed it, given that the Bible account is of a global event.

Here's the relevant point relating to your question - the oldest texts known do not prove that they are the most accurate renditions. In the distant past, oral tradition was paramount and the Sumerian tablets could have been a much later written account of oral accounts passed down from generation to generation. That was the way Jewish accounts came to be finally written down. Moses got his account from generations of oral tradition that originated with Adam. You are wrong to claim that biblical theologians dismiss other traditions. They are fully aware of them but they do not come to the same conclusions as pagans do.

• Huh?
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

The age of a text does not suggest it is accurate. In 5,000 years will Harry Potter be any less fiction just because it aged a few thousand years? 

Was the technology discussed in Star Trek mean it was possessed by Gene Roddenberry in the 1960s since he had, "language that describes technology?" Do you think it existed because he described it in fiction? 

Your argument is flawed. Theologians and cultural anthropologists do study ancoent myths and how they influenced more modern myths and cultural beliefs and practices. But that doesn't mean we have to take them as more than myths. 

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Since all gods are myths its just more BS.

• 9 months ago

The scholars do not disregard them.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 9 months ago

That never rings a bell for believers - They think that's the devil .

Enki was known as the mischievous one who was know to clown around and pull pranks even on other gods of his immediate family .

He was of the highest intelligence of the gods so deception was simple 

and could to this day could be the one Christians call the devil .

Any time Christian are out smarted it's because of something evil .

Weird thing is - Enki was also the one who wanted man to know all once the Anunnaki left earth for good but the other gods out voted Enki and forbid that Knowledge 

EXACTLY like the Garden story so Enki is now postured as a talking serpent 

in Genesis who told Adam and Eve the truth about what the other gods were up to 

and that they would NOT die if they gained knowledge via the tree of 

some good and evil .

• 9 months ago

Yes and the Sumerian texts tell of the Annanoki (might be misspelled) people who came to earth from the stars. Hindu texts from Ancient times show how to build spacecrafts. Machines.

• 9 months ago

Everyone knows the bible was a rip off of the ancient Sumerian religion. These Sumerian tablets have only been studied for a few decades (some were not examined until 1998), unlike the religions that have been known to everyone over some thousands of years. Obviously there is much still to learn.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

The Kish Temple Hymn was dedicated to my goddess Nidaba 1600 before the oldest biblical story was committed to writing.

• 9 months ago

Your hypothesis is based on a totally fabricated premise!

"Debate" over!

• 9 months ago

Dismissing God's word doesn't make you wise but the opposite.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.