Amy asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSTDs · 2 months ago

Can I see a doctor?

So I’m 19 years old and my mom never let me get the hpv vaccine (she’s crazy and doesn’t want me to have sex). I want to get vaccinated because I know it’s good for me, but if she finds out I got it she’ll disown me. Before I left for college she made me sign this release form saying that any time I got seen by a doctor they would be notified. Is this real? Can I get vaccinated without her knowing? Please help

Most definitely. You're at a legal age where she canT affect anything or know why you got checked. 

You are an adult. Your health is your responsibility. Just do it. There are so many other nasty things hpv can give you besides cervical cancer.

NO DON'T BE A PUSSY

That release carries no legality and you don't have to show it to anyone.  Yes, go to a public clinic and get vaccinated, and don't tell her about it and she won't know, just don't give your mom's number or address.  You are an adult now.

• Eva

As long as the doctor doesn't turn it in to your insurance, your parents would not find out. If the release you signed is for your college health services, don't use it either. You can make an appointment with any doctor you wish and pay for it out of pocket.

• kelvin

no that isn't real and any doctor is not allowed too say anything too your mom

• Tavy

No,it's not real, no Doctor is going to tell her, just go and have it done.

You don't need to see a doc for this.  Its available without a doctor prescription at most major pharmacies and health clinics.   Where i live, the vaccine is even available at Safeway.    There's several versions of the vaccine, and they cover different strains.  Read up about the vaccines on the web before you get the vaccine to make sure you get the one that is best for you. 

You're over 18 years old.  Your medical care is your business, there is no obligation on the part of a health care provider to notify your parents or for the provider to take direction from your parents, unless you have given them medical power of attorney? 

I've never heard of this release you're talking about.  Who is this release with, the school?  The issue you will have is if you're on your parents medical insurance, they will receive a Explanation of Benefits from the insurance company every time you use the insurance.  The EoB will be vague with respect to what was done, but it would likely trigger the grand inquisition from your helicopter mother.  However, once you get the vaccination it won't be possible to undo it.

If you don't want them to know find a provider on your own (look for a nurse practitioner) and pay with cash, don't use insurance.

Yes. You’re over 18 and doctors can’t tell your mother due to the doctor patient confidentiality agreement .