Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 2 weeks ago

I have a strange OCD pattern?

I have a rare type where i basically try to avoid thinking about people i knew that i did not like or ones i really hated, if i switch of a light or something. If my last thought is of a person a didn't like while doing that, id have to switch the light on off when not thinking about them. Same with my abuser in childhood. If he pops up while I'm washing myself in tub. I have to keep cleaning myself until a new thought pops up that isn't him. I don't want them being my last thought while doing a certain action. Same with my bullies in past etc. I keep doing something until they get out my head. Then i stop once im Happy with a different memory being my last thought etc. Btw, im not trolling. It might sound stupid to you. But this stuff is very real 

• Best answer

That is a defense mechanism, not an obsessive compulsive physical behavior. I do the same thing. More and more, I used my "will to ignore."

Here's how this kind of thing gets started. You had an unpleasant memory, you performed some kind of ritual, and the memory went away. That convinced you that you had the key for dealing with unhappy memories, although the memories keep bothering you. 

A therapist can tell you about how to deal with memories. One way is to desensitize yourself to the memory. Instead of trying to get rid of it, you just stare it down so it doesn't bother you.

Something you can talk about with a therapist is the method of psychiatrist Jeffrey Schwartz. His OCD treatment has been validated by brain scan studies (article).

https://www.discovermagazine.com/mind/rewiring-the...

If you go the Amazon ad for You Are Not Your Brain by Schwartz, you'll see that people with OCD think very highly of this book. You can also hear the testimonials of readers on YouTube.

He says that OCD can be treated with these four steps:

1) Relabel the obsessive thoughts and compulsive urges as obsessions and compulsions, not as real thoughts.

2) Reattribute the obsessive thoughts to a brain malfunction called OCD.

3) Refocus on a wholesome, productive activity for at least fifteen minutes.

4) Revalue the entire obsession and compulsion group as having no useful meaning in your life.

He's one of the many mental health professionals who believe in mindfulness. If you're interested,

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20181...

You need to see a shrink as this sort of OCD will affect your normal life.

STOP doing the rituals for a start. The reason you are trapped in your own thoughts is because you are labelling good and bad on these people. Then the mind plays tricks on you from that. I'm sorry you got abused but you need to rip away that Idea of him as being "bad" OCD fuel is all based on good and bad. If you favour one outcome, you'll automatically fear the opposite

Not a question - reported