Is Metal dead at this point? Why or why not?

Obviously its still alive, but can it be brought back into the mainstream like it once was in the 80s?

And also, where do we go from here?

Seems like all the good ideas for metal are used up: Death Metal, Speed Metal, Thrash Metal, Doom Metal, Funeral Doom Metal, Stoner Metal, Industrial Metal, Metal mixed with 80s Goth Rock, Metal mixed with Avant Garde, Black Metal, Symphonic Metal, Technical Death Metal, Melodic Death Metal, Blackened Death, Sludge Metal, Army/Bro Metal, Hair Metal, Gay Metal (i.e. metalcore as of 2005ish), Trap Metal (Rap music with beats and noises so loud that it could be metal if it were recorded with guitars), Rap Metal, Mr. Bungle, Progressive Metal.

Where the fluff do I go with my sound if I want to start a metal band? And what incentive do I have to even be metal?

• Favorite Answer

If it was in the mainstream that would somewhat defeat the point... Aside from that, have you not been to any metal concerts recently? Packed to the gills full of metalheads, moshing and loving the music! How can you even ask if it's dead?

Anything is possible especially with platforms like YouTube. Whether or not it can be at the level like it was in the 80s. Is yet to be seen, the musicians the ones that actually put together the music. They are going to want to put out metal. Its easy to say yes I want to be a metal band. Its harder to go out and do it, musicians are a dime a dozen. The ones that actually make it, and are even a bit successful are very rare. Even locally in either their home town, or even their home state or country. The fans are the second group. The ones who allow the musicians to do what they do. Any art is hard to do, and the more people you have trying to make it. The harder it becomes. There is always someone who is going to try and out fo you. The next whatever. The 80s metal scene was epic. The incentive that you have to make a metal band. Is really up to you, if you think you have what it takes. Than go for it. You have options on how you can go about it. You just cant lose sight of it.

The mainstream is always about current fads.  Sometimes that includes Metal, but unless you get one of those rare bands that almost all Metalheads like or a massive wave of new artists bringing fresh interest to the genre, the numbers just won't be there to get them to chart.

Is Metal dead?  Of course not.

Where does Metal go?  Same place it always has:  great musicians playing great music hard and loud.

What incentive do you have to be Metal?  If you don't feel the answer to that question in your heart already, you have none.

I find Speed Metal is very dominant these days. Maybe better, too. Even, more listenable.

It's mainstream that's dead. Long live Metal

Metal has never been “mainstream”.  Metal bands that got radio play were actually hard rock that incorporated catchy pop hooks.  Metallica’s Black Album comes to mind.  Same with Iron Maiden or Judas Priest.  

True metal music will never be mainstream, and that’s what makes it special to fans.

Yes it is yea yes

• I think you better expand on that unless you want to lose 10 points.