Isaiah asked in TravelAir Travel · 4 weeks ago

Why does it take longer to fly from London to NYC than it does from NYC to London (nonstop)?

I’d assume it would have to do something with the jetstream, but would that really cause a ninety minute difference?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

I’d assume it would have to do something with the jetstream. TRUE

The jet stream goes from West to East for most flights.

It is not constant and moves around. A difference of time can easily be an hour.

Also the globe under the plane moves. To London you are chasing the target further.

To NYC it is moving towards you.

• 4 weeks ago

It's actually 45 minutes faster going east, and 45 minutes slower going west. So the jetstream makes about a 45 minute difference each way. 

• 4 weeks ago

You and the other answers are correct that it is due to the jet stream.  The actual time going east to west (against the jet stream) usually is not 90 minutes more than going west to east but the jet stream isn't predictable so the airlines pad their schedules.  

• 4 weeks ago

Because you usually have a tailwind flying East and a headwind flying West. Also the route isn't quite the same since you don't want planes flying into each other.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Mark
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Yes, it is because of the Jet Stream.  That area may SEEM to have slow winds on the ground/sea, but 34,000 feet up it's going about 600 mph, as fast as a commercial airliner.

• 4 weeks ago

The jet stream averages 80-140 mph so 90 minutes sounds about right. At cruising speeds transatlantic Jets fly 460-570 mph. 

And keep in mind planes flying East get pushed by the jet stream. 

• Rick
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

one way you are going AGAINST the time zone changes .....

• Isaiah4 weeks agoReport

im actually just referring to the total air time because NYC to London is like 6:45 while the other way is over 8 hours of 

• 4 weeks ago

first let me ask if you think the earth is flat or not

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.