Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 3 weeks ago

Parents, do you get upset/ annoyed when your kid's friend always ask for rides?

I’m always asking the same people to give me rides. I only ask for a ride if we both need to go to the same place or if I need a ride home. My parents work a 9 to 5 Job. My dad sometimes have to travel for work or works on Saturday. 

I’m 17 and don’t have my license. I can’t bike to places walking takes too long. I don’t want my friends to think I’m using them. 

I’m asking because I need a ride to school today. I have a mandatory tech rehearsal for theater. 

Holy cow you take liberties, I'm surprised they haven't told you no. First of all you're 17 so almost an adult and secondly you are not their responsibility because they are not your parents.

Not if I'm doing the trip anyway, not having to change the time, and there's space.

• Jerry

If the drivers are already going to your destination anyhow, it's not much trouble to make room for one more passenger. But if you're asking people to make a special trip for you, then you need to 

(1) Avail yourself of public transportation when possible, walk or bike when possible, or 

(2) Let the drivers know well ahead of time that you'll be depending on them for a ride. Don't expect people to drive you home when they haven't agreed ahead of time that they will drive you home, and

(3) Make sure the people who are giving you rides are shown appreciation. Offer to shovel snow for them, to clean their fridge for them for example. Write them a thank you letter mentioning how much their kindness has helped you succeed in your studies.