Can a WD Elements run 24/7 without any issues?

So i bought a WD elements 4TB and i just want to check if it is able to run 24/7 as the reason to this is cuz my laptop i running out of storage and my next computer is going to have to be black friday. Anyone help?

• Adrian
    Favorite Answer

Most HDD, unless designed for servers, are not made to run 24/7. The main "enemy" of HDD is heat.

You can check the specifics of the drive on the vendor's web site (duty cycle or recommended usage) if you have a specific HDD part number.

As a very general guide, the warranty period for a HDD shows a lot. A drive with 5 year warranty is usually designed for 24/7 operation. Drives with 1 or 2 year are "consumer" drives, and intended for general household usage (like 8 hours a day, etc.). These are not 100% accurate rules, but a general guide in my mind. Longer warranties usually means better built and longer lasting drives.

Now, to run a home drive 24/7 may be ok for a while, even months or years, but you are using the drive beyond the design specifications. I have a web server at home that is using a "home user" drive, running 24/7, but it never shuts down as it is on a UPS and backup generator. That drive has not failed (yet) because it is not "stressed", and being an older design (10+ year old drive), not so touchy to issues like modern drives that push the limits of technology.

All modern hard drives are designed to run 24/7 and can last many years doing this. Not if you are constantly reading and writing to the drive then it will be an issue. Just having it plugged into your computer and powered on it wont matter since most non-server drives have a "sleep" feature.

Source(s): 20 Yeah of computer building and engineering + 20 Years Certified Ethical Hacking.
  • Lv 7

black friday stuff is notoriously low-quality, cheaply made junk.

the phrase "you get what you pay for" comes to mind...

• ItzNicks4 weeks agoReport

uhm wut? well im getting my pc parts black friday and my question was if the wd elements can run 24/7

• YKhan

Yes, any HDD can run 24/7. It just depends on how many 24's altogether in its lifetime. Typically as long as the drive is well-ventilated, i.e. don't stick it inside a closet stuffed among other things, it'll overheat. If you keep it in an open space, you'll be fine. I've had HDD's last 5 years or more.

Personal anecdote only...

Had 2 of the WD Element externals. Both died in much less than a year. Literally just shut off and that was it. 6 and 9 months lifespan.

I have a Seagate 5TB external that has been plugged in and humming along for 3 years now, running 24/7.

My experience only of course, but you couldn't give me another WD external.

• keerok

Yes, no problem.