Should I have quit my job, since it was effecting my mental health, even though I didnt have another lined up?

This may look like a repeat question, but based on some answers, I needed to rephrase it. Back in 2003 till 2005, I worked at a retail Office supply chain after getting my bachelors in business thunking could move up fast because of it. But in 2005, I even got passed over for a more junior employee who when he first started, had a lot of behavior problems, but after he decided he was sorry, they started GROOMING him for management?!  I never got a staight detailed answer by my store and district manager on why I couldnt be a supervisor, even though I was college educated! Plus No prior behavior problems like the other guy! So eventually I decided to see how OfficeMax would like me as a bad employee and was eventually fired. I was also in a rut because I was getting interviews for more suitable jobs but no offers, so that was effecting my mental health and was at the point where I would rather go to the hospital than go into work.

I know this was a long time ago, but I still wonder what I should have done diffeteny. If was was THAT depressed at my job, should I have just quit (even though I didnt have another job yet) and just "looking for a job" my job in the meantime?

You're really asking a couple of different questions:

1.  Should you have behaved like a child when faced with a lack or professional progress?  -- The answer is no.  There is never an excuse for a college-educated adult to be unprofessional, pouty, or vindictive in the workplace. 

2.  Should you have quit a job before securing another one?  -- That depends on your financial situation.  Generally, self-supporting adults should have an income stream.  If you didn't "need" a job, then leaving one that you didn't enjoy is fine.  That noted, your post says you were fired.  Not the same as voluntarily leaving.

3.  Should you have address your mental health issues? -- Yes.  Whether or not that required you to leave a job is hard to say, but everyone should get professional help if they need it.  If a job environment is the cause of stress or other things that impact a person's ability to have a good mental outlook, then leaving that job may be appropriate.  

• squidy

It's really hard to answer. Did you have a savings? Did you have a high cost of living? Were you willing to take an entry-level job if you didn't find an ideal job within a certain time frame? I also have one big question that I don't think you can answer: was your management incompetent and playing favorites, or are you blind to your own glaring problems that were keeping management from moving you up? Either way, I think becoming a bad employee and getting fired was probably not the best choice. That's not even a choice, that's more like giving up. Don't half-a$$ things, make a decision and stick to it, even if that decision is quitting. Because I do agree that working a job that makes you miserable isn't worth it.

You should have continued to do the best job you should have done.  Did you talk to management to find out what you needed to do in order to get promoted to the job you wanted?  By becoming a 'bad' employee to use your term, you just reinforced to management 'thank god we didn't pick them for the promotion'.

< I even got passed over for a more junior employee who when he first started, had a lot of behavior problems, but after he decided he was sorry, they started GROOMING him for management? >

You were there, I wasn't, but I'm finding it hard to believe this and that there wasn't more to why you weren't picked then you are saying.

As far as quitting your job without finding another one first, did you have ongoing bills to pay?  How would you have done that without a job?

Without knowing anything about your finances, that is a difficult question to answer. I will only say that you sound like you would have been "doomed" either way.

When your head is not on straight, things never go well. External circumstances don't really matter much.