Anybody have advice about taking child out of school term time?

I’m living in England where school is compulsory after a kid turns 5 & starts full time school. My son is 5 and started reception class full time September. His attendance is 100%. 

Couple details - my husband is from Iraq. His parents live here too. All British. His brother who moved here when he was a child but hated it so returned back to Iraq to live with family is now an adult (31) has a wife and a 5 year old child. My husband hasn’t seen his brother in 12 years. UK won’t allow him to enter the UK so it’s been difficult but his brother is currently in Turkey for a 3 weeks and has asked us to go there to meet him and for my son to meet his cousin. 

So, I want to take my son out of school for a week and a half so me & him can meet my husbands family for the first time. I read I can get a form from school and only under exceptional circumstances they will allow you to take a child out of school for example a funeral, wedding, illness etc. I don’t want to lie. I’m going to speak to teacher in the morning and tell the truth. But do you think my reason is good enough to allow my son out of school or not? This is the first chance I’ll get to meet them because obviously I will not go to Iraq. Any advice? Thanks! 

Just email the school explaining what is going on and they will probably let you go. Otherwise just call in the day you leave and say that he  is ill.

• Katie

You need to get WRITTEN permission from the Headteacher/Principal of the school.

• Tavy

This all depends on individual schools in the U.K.

We have heard some horror stories of unrelenting heads. The worst they can do is fine you.

Yikes! That's pretty extreme at the reception level! Yes, I think your reason is good enough, but I have no idea what the school will think. 

It used to be that in kindergarten in the US, if a kid could glue two pieces of paper together without gluing one to his forehead, he was considered a genius. Now that want kids to read and do math at that age. 

• Tavy
      4 weeks agoReport

My son started school in the U.K.  in 1978, he was 5 ,they were taught maths and the other subjects from week one.

• drip

Ten days out of school is a long time. I am in the US.  Can you ask about keeping him up in his school work while gone? A couple of hours each day would be more than enough to keep him up any academics he would miss. 

Can you leave on a weekend and come back on a  weekend so he only misses five days of school? 

To me a wedding isn’t an exceptional circumstance. But if school says it is...  What you are doing, gathering with family you otherwise couldn’t meet, would be comparable.  

All you can do is ask.

• Danielle
      4 weeks agoReport

Thank you very much! That’s what I’m trying to do. Leave on a Friday and return the following weekend! & yes I will be asking about homework while gone. Thanks for your kind reply I’m hoping it will be allowed :-) 

I remember a couple in the UK going to court because they took their child on holiday during term time and they got prosecuted

• Danielle
      4 weeks agoReport

I understand that. But if I had a reason like my above reason, I’m wondering if that would be classed as a good enough reason to take him out. I’m not sure. Ill speak with the teacher tomorrow but just finding out some advice!