I live in 60 yr old, brick, two family house with oil burner/radiator heat, oil bill getting too expensive, read on?

Unless I set the thermostat on the burner to 75 degrees, the second floor is too cold in the winter, is this normal?  The attic is above me, but when I got a new roof a couple of years ago, the insulation was knocked down from the ceiling from the banging. Would no insulation make a big difference? I tried a space heater, but it blew a fuse, so I'm afraid to use it. I live in the metro NYC area. Any suggestions?

• I care

Insulation is a big deal in keeping rooms warm. (which one can put in regular style batting)  Sometimes older houses lack insulation under the flooring? 

Also making sure windows are sealed secure from drafts happening. ( using sealant on all windows may help some drafts)

A fuse blew,  makes me wonder how your electric is doing....or if the amps you have in the electric box is enough for all you use.  Usually 200 amp is safer for all appliances we all use these days.  Be very careful of floor heaters especially close to any drapes etc. 

Also hopefully your home has a water turnoff valve to be turned off incase of leaks. 

Wish a inspector could be afforded to make sure your family is safe with all that is happening.  Good wishes on this venture.  Hope this helps?

Having no insulation makes a huge difference. Insulating your home is very efective in terms of reducing fuel bills.

Have the system looked at for proper circulation to the second floor. Perhaps there is air trapped or not enough pressure in the system.

Definitely add more insulation to the attic.  

If gas service is available, switch to a gas boiler.  Gas is significantly less expensive to use and burns cleaner than oil. The major drawback is the upfront cost.  

yea, insulation does make a big difference. the insulations is what keeps the heat in and the cold out in the winter, and vice-versa in the summer. you fix that, you should be able to tell a difference.

• In

Call in an insulation contractor to blow more insulation into the attic.  In your part of the country the minimum required R value for an attic is R-49.  Insulating your attic is the most cost effective option for improving energy efficiency.

• Jason

Heck yeah. Get a bag blown in insulation a dump it in there. 

no insulation makes a huge difference. Go up there and reinstall it ... or at least even it out on the attic floor

Source(s): grampa
  • ..

Good insulation does make a difference; this includes windows and walls. Insulation needs to be laid on the floor of the attic.