I live in 60 yr old, brick, two family house with oil burner/radiator heat, oil bill getting too expensive, read on?

Unless I set the thermostat on the burner to 75 degrees, the second floor is too cold in the winter, is this normal?  The attic is above me, but when I got a new roof a couple of years ago, the insulation was knocked down from the ceiling from the banging. Would no insulation make a big difference? I tried a space heater, but it blew a fuse, so I'm afraid to use it. I live in the metro NYC area. Any suggestions?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • I care
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

Insulation is a big deal in keeping rooms warm. (which one can put in regular style batting)  Sometimes older houses lack insulation under the flooring? 

Also making sure windows are sealed secure from drafts happening. ( using sealant on all windows may help some drafts)

A fuse blew,  makes me wonder how your electric is doing....or if the amps you have in the electric box is enough for all you use.  Usually 200 amp is safer for all appliances we all use these days.  Be very careful of floor heaters especially close to any drapes etc. 

Also hopefully your home has a water turnoff valve to be turned off incase of leaks. 

Wish a inspector could be afforded to make sure your family is safe with all that is happening.  Good wishes on this venture.  Hope this helps?

• 3 weeks ago

Having no insulation makes a huge difference. Insulating your home is very efective in terms of reducing fuel bills.

• 3 weeks ago

Have the system looked at for proper circulation to the second floor. Perhaps there is air trapped or not enough pressure in the system.

• 3 weeks ago

Definitely add more insulation to the attic.  

If gas service is available, switch to a gas boiler.  Gas is significantly less expensive to use and burns cleaner than oil. The major drawback is the upfront cost.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

yea, insulation does make a big difference. the insulations is what keeps the heat in and the cold out in the winter, and vice-versa in the summer. you fix that, you should be able to tell a difference.

• In
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Call in an insulation contractor to blow more insulation into the attic.  In your part of the country the minimum required R value for an attic is R-49.  Insulating your attic is the most cost effective option for improving energy efficiency.

• Jason
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

Heck yeah. Get a bag blown in insulation a dump it in there. 

• 3 weeks ago

no insulation makes a huge difference. Go up there and reinstall it ... or at least even it out on the attic floor

Source(s): grampa
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

Good insulation does make a difference; this includes windows and walls. Insulation needs to be laid on the floor of the attic.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.