Do I have to move because the landlord offered me a relocation fee?

I've done nothing wrong. I've made very little complaints about anything, and have never once been late on my rent. I just found what I copied from a website that makes it sound like my landlord can give me relocation fee & tell me to move. I have no idea why he's even doing this.

If a landlord still wants a tenant to leave and does not have just cause, they may still evict their tenant provided they offer them relocation assistance in the form of one month’s rent. Landlords could either give their tenants the money directly or waive the last month’s rent.

Not sure if this is the same Bob biotching about carpet but if it is then you are on a month to month & begin a pain in the asss.  That is all the reason he needs.  

CA state wide rent control is NOT in effect until January.  Until it is he can serve you a 60 day notice at any time & does not have to give you a reason. 

If this is not the same Bob then you need to add details to your question with the state.

He can break the lease by giving you a relocation fee.  You can never refuse to leave if a landlord wants you out.  He has the right to take possession, remodel, sell etc..  Just because you are a great tenant doesn't force him to allow you to stay forever.

There are legal reasons that allow him to request a tenant to move mid-lease, through no fault of their own.  Not every state requires a relocation fee paid to the tenant.  Take it and move, or you will likely be evicted.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.

Has this happened or are you  just going through random "what ifs"?

What does your lease say ? ? ?

Consider this - a landlord may have a good reason to evict a good tenant.  He may be selling the property and needs it to be empty or he may be intending to renovate and needs the property empty.  Maybe he just has a good friend or a relative that he wants to rent to instead of you.

If you have doubts about the legality of the eviction - you can always ask a lawyer.  If the landlord is acting within whatever laws are in place in your location then you would need to move.  

• Bob4 weeks agoReport

Doesn't my landlord have to give me a reason I have to move since now they have to legally give a tenant a relocation fee? I think this means there's rent control if they have to do this now. It's not enough money for me find another place, now my credit has gone bad.

• Goerge

Money does not change the laws so he can't simply say here's your last month's rent and say get out. Normally they need to go to court first. If the landlord successfully argues his case and receive the eviction orders then the tenant usually has 30 days to leave. If they still are there the landlord will post the eviction notice. They then have 3 days. If they are still there the landlord and a police officer or constable(more likely for civil matters) will visit the tenant and the constable will tell them to leave. Still won't leave? The police can be called and they will be forcibly removed.

I don't see where say he's doing anything. You say you don't know why he's doing this but you don't say exactly what he is doing. Where you live makes a big difference. Laws also vary.