Parents: What could you do in this case?

If you become a parent when you are young and not ready for a child but then you get married to someone who is not your child's birth parent, you have a child with that person with you now being older, more patient and in a better situation overall which allows you to take care of your second born better than your firstborn and your older child, now a teenager, HATES the baby and wants nothing to do with it.

What could you do?.

• edward

Why does the older kid hate the baby? I will always be able to take care of my second child better than my first, he is my first, there are bound to be things that happen to him i won’t expect but i’ll know for the next time as with anything. First time i got on the ice j slipped, first time i got in the water i sank. Doesn’t stop me from trying again. Just the natural order of things. Have a heart to heart with the older kid and try to get to the bottom of this

Well thats simple..

The older child needs some personal time with a parent.

Maybe a treat to work towards

Or just talk to him

Does your child resent the step-parent? Perhaps they are rejecting the child because of their dislike for the parent. I think you make an effort to spend time with that first child alone to keep your relationship with them intact. And you do everything you can to foster a relationship between the two children. You tell the older child how much the little one looks up to them and wants to be with them. And you tell the little one (once they have language skills) that the older one is proud of them and that they have to be on their best behavior with them. You encourage them to do things together -- like the older one can take the little one to a Disney movie once they are four or five. Keep in mind that everything is more complicated with teens. They're a mess of hormones and don't know their own minds half the time.

I think in the cold head and make the right decision.