Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 3 weeks ago

Why do I love sugar and sweets so much? I can hardly go a day without it. Is it to do with my childhood?

When I was a child, I wasn t allowed any sugar. It was mostly healthy food. I liked the healthy food for the most part. I liked rice with vegetables, a bit of meat, fruit juice.

Sweets, ice cream and chocolate were like the forbidden things I hardly could ever have. Once a week I d get a little bit of chocolate. Once my favourite uncle gave me something sweet to cheer me up and I remember feeling really good afterwards.

Then when I got a little older I would often go to shops with parents and I got to have a little more sweet snacks and desserts. But for the most part, it was still something scarce.

Or could it be other things such as overcompensating for lack of romantic love in my teenage and now my young adult life? Never been in are relationship but I have fallen in love and been through a lot of heartbreak.

I had more healthy foods than mentioned- they were just examples.

Also, I went through a TONE of emotional abuse from a sibling and also at secondary school in my teenage years I would face a lot of racism and emotional bullying. It was in secondary school where I gained most of the weight in my life but I did have a sweet tooth before this time.

@Patricia well brown rice seems healthier than white rice although I did read brown rice absorbs toxins. Fruit juice may not be as healthy as whole fruits but it sounds a bit like a joke to assume fruit juice would cause cancer. But if you don't eat rice or grains and prob not meat either, what do you even live on? Only fruit and vegetables? Not would not be a balanced diet. You sound like a vegetarian or vegan. We would not have much energy to live on mostly fruit and veg.

I'm sorry to bust your bubble but rice isn't healthy. And fruit juices are loaded with sugar, so you might as well eat out of a sugar bowl, instead.

Sugar is one of the worst things we can consume next to grains and refined oils. We are addicted to carbs... and our brain receptors tell us we want more and more. Sugary foods are not satisfying and do not keep us full. They also feed cancers and are the cause of today's diabetes 2 epidemic.

Sweets release serotonin in your brain, it gives you a happy feeling. You’d notice this more because you were deprived more than most kids were but your body has a chemical reaction to sugar, that’s why most companies put so much sugar or corn syrup in foods. You become addicted to it.

I’m not very sure but, I’ve done a bit of researching and found out that basically are brains “reward” us by releasing neurotransmitters like serotonin and beta-endorphins when we eat sugar. It’s probably nothing but a common liking/or sweet tooth for chocolates and candies.

Here are also a few suggestions if you’d like to fight your sugar craving:

-fruit

-berries

-dark chocolate

-snack bars

-chia seeds

-sugar free chewing gum or mints

-legumes

-yogurt 

Also, I don’t think it has anything to do with child hood choices.... you simply started enjoying something you didn’t have much of, but slow it down a little if you can’t go a day without it(then there is a problem). :)