Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 weeks ago

How do I tell my parents I’m dating an older man?

So, this is really tough. My boyfriend and I have been dating for over a year. My parents are well aware that we are together, but they don’t know his age. I’m currently 19, and he is 31. Thanksgiving is coming up and he, understandably, does not want to join me at my parents’ house for the holiday because they don’t know his age. I feel really stuck because my father is not known to be the calmest of people in this world and I am worried about what the outcome could be. Any honest advice would help, please. 

• Tepee

You know the truth will have to surface sometime so I suggest you just continue as usual and deal with the issue when it arises. Perhaps the age difference would be less of a problem if your parents got to know him better.

just dont tell him how old he is

I think you are stressing over this for no reason. You're parents might very well have guessed by now that he a lot older than you. So stop worrying about it and tell him in advance to just be truthful if anyone asks his age.

If the 31 year old treats you well, mind their own business, parents..

At 19 you can do as you please. It’s really none of their business.

Trust me, your father is NEVER going to accept this.  It would be one thing if you were 29 and he was 49, but 19 and 31 is just wrong.  

Source(s): My 17 yo daughter had a serious relationship with someone 11 years older than her. It didn't end well.
    • To be quite frank with you, I didn’t ask for you to tell me what you deem to be wrong or right. If you’re not going to answer the question posted, your answer holds no value to me.