Does visibility matter when buying a car?

we were at the GMC dealership and was looking at a 2020 Malibu and the guy said that the visibility of the Malibu is much better than the Civic hatchback or Rav 4. I believe he meant looking through the rear view mirror but I am not sure

Is it true? What can I do to improve visibility? Sorry I am new to driving cars.

Hell yeah visibility matters!

I don't know about the Malibu specifically, but there are a number of factors that can make a car have better visibility.  The first is the position of the driver's seat - which is the reason for all of the various adjustments in most seats, to give people of various heights the ability to put themselves in the best position (in addition to allow them to drive comfortably).

Once you have adjusted your seat, the next thing to do is to adjust rear view and exterior mirrors.  I like to make it to where I can see just a tiny sliver of the side of my car in the exterior mirrors so that I have a frame of reference.  Some cars have wide-angle pieces, or you can install them (the curved mirrors that allow you to see off to the side to eliminate blind spots). 

Modern vehicles have lights built into the exterior mirrors that light up (and sometimes have alarms) to let you know someone is in your blind spot, but you should always give a quick glance to make sure that someone hasn't managed to sneak in there (I would never trust a sensor over my own eyes).

Some vehicles have horrible visibility - things like tint, spoilers, narrow rear windows, etc. might look cool, but if you can't see, then you are dangerous (and in danger).  I prefer two-door coupes because the doors tend to be longer and it moves the pillar on the side back behind you.

Sit in the drivet seat and look how much you can see in the tear view mirror. Does the car have parking sensors etc etc

Visibility means different things.  I grump about  the  visibility of my present car at virtually every intersection.  The front 'A' pillars  are difficult to see past at intersections.  The pillars themselves are fairly thick, but then they are so slanted, that you have to move your head up and ahead , and down and back at each intersection. For a short person, I could see the rear view mirrors getting in the way. (I can look over them)  This is especially difficult when it is raining and the wipers do not sweep all the way into the corners of the windshield.

I would say to check out the Civic and Rav 4.  This could be as individual and subjective as seat comfort.

Visibility is affected not only by rear view with mirrors but with smaller rear windows, rear side views, front side views, and "blind spot" views that can be blocked with pillars between windows and doors. Some vehicles have larger pillars and smaller windows that block those views. For example, the Chevy Camaro has one of the worst visibility of any vehicles. Large SUVs typically have excellent visibility due to lots of windows and small pillars. Lack of visibility can cause accidents  -- because you can't completely see what's happening around you.

Almost all cars have blind spots rear view mirrors and turning the head will or might miss. Even convertibles have blind spots because of the windshield frame. This is not about the rear view mirror as much as that small area that the mirrors miss and is behind a "pillar" or other supports for the top.

• hamel5

Most new or bad  drivers don't use their mirrors enough. 

But, the salesman probably meant that the Malibu rides a little higher and the back window is a little biggerRemember, the only way to know  which car is better for you -  is to drive both.  

• Lv 4
      4 weeks agoReport

interesting answer; also, it can mean more view to sides & quarters; eg, some vehicles require rearward tv because the view toward rear is restricted; yes, good visibility re all directions is significant